15 Things Only Girls With Natural Curls Will Get

Just Curly Things.
319

Growing up with curly hair is both a blessing and a curse. It took me too long to love the locks I was given but I finally appreciate them. Throughout the years I have noticed many things are constant when you have curly hair that I'm sure my fellow curly gals will get.

1. Not knowing how to tame the mane and going years before finally finding the perfect hair product.

Every head of hair is different and while there are millions of “curly” hair products majority of them can’t fight frizz or make your hair look like ramen noodles.

2. Always having someone ask if they can touch your hair as if it is some kind of exotic creature that they’ve never seen before

You know those people who are like omg can I touch your hair? Just know you are not obligated to say yes. My faves are the ones who just stick their hands in it like your hair is a bowl of spaghetti that is not attached to your head. NBD.

3. The one go-to hairstyle you had before the amazing curly hair gurus (who truly are a blessing) emerged. My personal go to was the half up half down style that was not cute but was all you knew how to do

I call it the Pam Beesley, and it’s the only way Pam wears her hair consistently circa seasons one through three of The Office.

4. When you want to cut your hair you can’t just go anywhere

If you want your hair cut right you cannot just mosey on down to a random shop and get it cut. You have to find places that specialize in curly cuts because there is a different technique that goes into it.

5. When you google curly hairstyles and have to retype natural curly hairstyles.

Literally, every time I search on Google or Pinterest I have to add natural to my search because 9/10 you will get hair that has curls from a wand or iron which is no biggie but it’s annoying to not see more natural curls out there.

6. Trying to find someone with similar curls. You’re better off finding someone with the same fingerprints.

Not all curls are alike, and all heads of curly hair are different as mentioned before. There are so many different patterns of curls out there and some people have like three different types on their own head. Hair inspiration requires a lot of research.

7. Your hair gets stuck on or picks things up.

I was the gal whose pencil got swept away when I wrote, and I have also gotten stuck on hangers and under purse straps. It makes for a great party trick: “Watch the pencil disappear”

*sweeps hair over table*

8. The desire to style with hot tools but the fear of heat damage.

Remember her, lol. You can enjoy it now but have fun with the aftermath of your curls bouncing back three days later.

9. A slight chance of humidity equaling a 100% chance of frizz

Big and sexy hair, right?

10. French braiding at sleepovers (or in general) was and is still a painful experience

It typically resulted in a knotted mess, frizzy braids, or tears.

11. The ability to do your hair in about 20 minutes or less is a blessing or you can literally pull an "I woke up like this"

Just add water.

12. Your curls are the key identifier for your friends when they are looking for you

Find my friends, more like catch the curls.

13. Compliments from strangers

You will get compliments left and right from complete strangers on your curls, it is a fabulous confidence booster.

14. When friends ask for a brush or a hairdryer and you’re just like LOL nope

Girl do I look like I could use a brush or a hairdryer. Wanna use my comb or diffuser? Also for future reference no my hair product will not make your hair look like mine, so no you cannot use it.

15. Realizing your curls add to the many things that make you who you are. And not everyone is lucky enough to have them

So, while there are some crazy things curly girls will have to deal with we ultimately put up with it because we were blessed with our gorgeous curls.

Stay curly, gals.