Boys Are Temporary, Gal Pals Are Forever

Relationships can be messy, but let's all take some advice from Carrie Bradshaw and live it up with our girlfriends!

586
Caroline Boze

Let's talk about relationships. Some can be fun, some can be great, and some can just be absolutely awful. I think Carrie Bradshaw said it best when she said, "maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with." At some point, there will be a boy that will be your forever, eventually.

However, I am NOT at that stage. I repeat, I am NOT at that stage, so please do not ask.

Boys in their early 20s, for the most part, are not looking for the same relationship that a girl in her 20s is looking for. All they want to do is play games with your heart, and I am just not cool with that! Sadly, some boys in the early years of college are really, really good at playing games (queue Demi Lovato "Games"). If you aren't careful, you could lose and get a broken heart. That isn't always the case, though.

Luckily, I have a great group of friends who will help when I am dealing with heartbreak.

Having a good group of friends in high school and in college is essential for not only dealing with heartbreak but also all other aspects of life. My girlfriends are always there with support and a tub of ice cream. Friends are really great for that. I remember my first major heartbreak, my best friend greeted me at my door with ice cream, hot fudge, and a roll of cookie dough. Since then, those items are my go-to with every heartbreak I've had to deal with (and my best friend, too). My friends have always been incredible at making sure I am busy and having fun when I'm down.

Sometimes a relationship that is developed at this age is meant to be. I am skeptical of getting involved in another relationship because how do you know when it truly is right? It takes a few broken hearts to get to the best, so all those games will be worth it! Trust me, I know boys suck and can't be trusted, and the list can go on. Not all boys around my age are this way, though. One of my best friends has been in the same, wonderful relationship since our freshman year. It is refreshing to see two people love each other endlessly at this age when some relationships can be the very opposite. My parents have always shown unconditional love to each other and to my sister and me. My hope is that someday I will find a love like theirs. When the time is right, Mr. Right will make his way into your life. I am hopeful for myself, too, that this will happen. Until then, I am living my life for me and having fun with my girlfriends because they are our real soulmate, right?