I'm The Girl Who Wears Gym Clothes To Class, And There's Nothing Wrong With That

Athleisure is definitely in style, just ask Lululemon.

140
Unsplash

That's right, I'm the girl that wears sneakers and workout leggings to class about 4 days a week and I couldn't be happier. Athleisure is the trend that keeps on giving and brands like Lululemon, Nike and Under Armour are milking it until its last dying breath. I'm the girl who has more pairs of workout leggings than I do jeans. More sneakers than booties. More quarter zips than dresses. And, news flash, that's OK.

I never understood the argument that people shouldn't wear gym clothes to class. I understand that choosing fashion over comfort is a common sacrifice in life, but athleisure is still fashionable. Picking the perfect pair of sneakers to complete ~that~ look you're going for is as satisfying as finding the perfect pair of heels (trust me, I've done both.)

Just because I want to have a little bit of comfort in my life doesn't make me any less than you and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't care about how I look. I'll admit, there are some days where I know I'll be studying on campus upwards of 14 hours, and those are the days where I'll throw on a sweatshirt and call it a day.

Let me repeat, that's because I'll spend more hours on campus, holed up in a study room than I will seeing the light of day. But, that's not the same as intentionally planning out an outfit the night before and going through my nine quarter zips to see which one is the most flattering.A

I don't have the luxury of living right next to the on campus gym. I chose to live off campus this year, which means that I would have to come back home, change, then go back to campus just to go to the gym. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a lot of extra effort and time that I just don't have in my normal day. Being a college student means you're constantly on a schedule, and I'll do anything to make my schedule just a little less crammed. If that means I have to wear cute gym clothes to class, then I guess I'll have to do just that.

More than anything, I cannot stand when people try to argue that they can't have "a good outfit day" in workout clothes. Looking sporty does not mean you can't look cute. You can look at any Lululemon outfit that's ever been sold to prove my point. I'm not saying that girls shouldn't embrace their own sense of fashion and wear jeans, dresses or cute sweaters to class if that's what they want to do. If that's your style, then go for it, but don't bash me just because we don't have the same fashion choices.

So, next time you see a girl around campus in the opposite outfit from you, try not to judge her for wanting to go workout after class or simply wanting to put on a comfortable pair of leggings when she has to get up at 8 a.m.