To The Girl Who Won't Post That Bikini Pic

As if your body isn't good enough for Instagram.

198

Ah, that time of year is here at last: bikini season. For many, it's a prime time to strut their stuff; but, for others, the summertime packs more pressure than just the rising temps. During this season, you see the bikini-clad girls having their fun in the sun, and you'd love to join in...if only you had the body for it.

But wait, since when do our bodies determine the amount of fun we're allowed to have?! So many beautiful gals (and guys) don't allow themselves to let loose at the beach, simply because they don't want people to see their bodies. Well, it really isn't so simple. This feeling doesn't just appear—it's been created over time by the unrealistic body ideals set forth by today's society. Many teenagers are made to feel that their bodies aren't good enough to parade around in at the beach because they're not slim enough. This feeling becomes ingrained in so many of us, and it's as unshakeable as the one that people's glares are burning a hole through our imperfect bodies the second we take off our cover-ups.

This societal pressure to look perfect is grossly unfair, because it keeps so many people from living their lives to the fullest. We continually cancel plans to go to the beach because we feel insecure in our bathing suits. We say no to going to the mall because we truly hate what we see in the dressing room mirror. We stay indoors during the trip of a lifetime because we're terrified of people seeing us in shorts and a crop top. And, we don't buy the bikini we've been lusting after for months, because we don't think we can rock it.

The answer isn't as cut and dry as, 'go to the gym' (which is the insensitive response I often receive when I explain my insecurities to others). In fact, I know many healthy people who are extremely insecure about their bodies, and I also know many not-so-healthy people who couldn't be prouder to show off their figures (and every single body type has a right to be proud). What it really all comes down to is how YOU see yourself. I know, it's tough to shield yourself against the unrealistic expectations of society, but it's something you just need to do, because you are good enough to go to the beach.

Having a healthy lifestyle is extremely important, but it's something you should work toward in your own time. This lifestyle isn't about working out 24/7 or only eating vegetables. It's about nurturing not only your body, but your MIND. It's about having a positive perspective on yourself and the world around you, and being ready to face each day with a smile and a need to get the best out of life, without the fear of accidentally showing off some cellulite (which is perfectly normal btw, as the queen herself, Chrissy Teigen, so eloquently proved). When you can accept your body for all of its beauty—because, really, our bodies let us explore the world, and that's pretty extraordinary—, and when you finally act on your wanderlust 100%, you are living your best life.

So, take it day by day. Start by looking to Insta bikini pics for body-positive inspo, rather than for your own body-bashing. Then, go to the beach with your most trusted friends and rip off that cover-up like you're ripping away all those years of insecurity. Look in the mirror each day and pick out one new thing about yourself that you like. Loving yourself can be a process, but it's totally worth it.

When it comes to feeling yourself in your bathing suit, stop saying 'one day,' and start doing it, today.