To The Girl Who Wants To Join A Sorority, From A Sorority Girl

First of all, join a sorority for YOU.
1753

To any girl interested in joining a sorority,

Welcome to the idea of Greek life! Whether you're deciding last minute to rush for your school's fall pledge classes, or debating if going out for one in the spring is a good option, it's a big decision and you have a lot to consider. Sororities aren't for everyone, but if you think it's a good choice for you, there are a few things to keep in mind as you start to go out to events.

First, join a sorority for YOU.

Don't join because your roommate is or your best friends at other schools have joined one or you just feel pressure to in general. Join a sorority because you feel like you'll take something away from it and enjoy the time, money, and energy that you put into one. However, don't count out joining a sorority just because you're on the fence about it. I've known many girls who initially went out to Meet the Sister events or even recruitment because of their friend, roommate, or whoever, and ended up falling in love with it and finding a home.

Second, don't believe all the misconceptions.

If your only impression of Greek life is from the movies, I'm afraid you won't be getting exactly what you're expecting there. My personal experience has been nothing but a positive and welcoming one, without hazing or even the pressure to do anything you're not comfortable with. I've been blessed to be a part of a sisterhood that is so committed to bettering one another and our community, as well as have fun and creating great friendships. Don't go into recruitment with any biases or any negative associations with Greek life, because it will probably prevent you from having the best possible experience.

Finally, don't think of a sorority as just another club you want to join with dues.

A sorority encompasses so many different types of organizations you could join, from social activities to philanthropic events to leadership opportunities and everything in between. Because of the wide range of possibilities that you could get yourself involved with, sororities really give you back what you put into them. If you want to make the most out of your Greek life experience, go to events, pick up positions, and create bonds with your sisters. But even if you don't think you could commit a ton of time, still consider the future when you'd be filling to invest more time, even if you can only commit a little bit now.

Greek life may seem scary and overwhelming at first, but if you have any glimmer of consideration towards joining a sorority, just go out to an event.

I promise that you'll meet sisters like myself who are passionate about their respective organizations and are eager to show even more potential sisters what sororities have to offer. You may find that any misconceptions you had before will completely change once you actually get involved.

Good luck,

A Sorority Sister