Hard Time On Father's Day

From The girl who always has a hard time on Father’s Day

This one is for my real dad and guardian angel and also my step-dad who's done so much for me and my family.

310
Bailey Martin

I don't really talk about this much in detail because it is still pretty hard for me to wrap my head around. My real dad was such a fighter, a strong strong man that I will always look up to.

But instead of getting to down here, I get to look up to him while he is enjoying life in heaven.

My real dad died of cancer 18 days after my first birthday, so yes if you do the math it's been 20 years. He fought a long hard battle and tried so hard for me. Before I was even born, he found out he was sick.

The doctors couldn't really tell exactly what it was (medicine has developed a lot since then), so he was constantly going to the doctor and trying his best to find out what was wrong. All he had was a cough, who knew that meant he had a tumor growing pushing into his lung.

Like I said, he fought a long hard battle with a wife that was pregnant with his little girl. He fought for me to see me when I was born and spent a full year with me, but the cancer won.

April 21, 1998, a day that always pulls on my heart. That was the day I lost my daddy. But thank you, thank you for fighting a rough, long hard battle for me. It means more than you know.

My mom remarried when I was 7 to a man who raised me as his own. I will always have so much respect for him because of that. He took a child in that wasn't his in any way and did all he could to support me and love me and push me to be the best person I can be.

There are men out there that won't even take care of their own children, but my step dad took me who wasn't his own and raised me like I was.

I could never thank him enough. He was so patient with me and taught me the things I know my real dad would have if he was around and able. Like how to ride a bike (even though it took until I was 12 to learn), how to drive a car (thank you for teaching me in your truck – I told you I wouldn't wreck), or how to play basketball and to find something I loved and stick with it. You taught me so much and I can't thank you enough.

I can honestly say I've been blessed beyond belief with both a real dad and a step dad. My real dad is now my guardian angel who watches over me and protects me every step of the way.

Some days are harder than others because I will always wonder if he is proud of me and if I am making him happy. I would give anything to hear his voice, give him a hug, see his smile I always love to see in pictures, or just to simply shake his hand – never take advantage of those little things people, they mean so much. But I also am blessed to have an amazing step dad who has done so much to shape me into who I am today.