Girl Codes To Live By

Girl Codes To Live By

As a woman, and living in today's society, sometimes we need to be reminded of a few things.

42
Girl Codes To Live By

Between seeing magazine covers at the super market and make-up commercials on television, I feel like there has been more pressure on women in today's society to act, look, speak, dress a specific way. Society makes it to where "they" (whoever they are) make the rules, set the bar for what makes the ultimate, beautiful, most put together woman.

I absolutely love watching MTV's "Girl Code." Yes, it can be a little risque with some things said, but overall I believe it puts things in perspective. Let me do the whole "long story short," thing for you, in case you do not have MTV or don't have access to YouTube at the moment.

1. "You will never look like the girl in the magazine. The girl in the magazine doesn't even look like the girl in the magazine."

Let me tell ya, Jessimae Peluso is 100% right. Now, this doesn't mean you don't need to look put together for a job interview or a date. However, there's need to go on "Botched," and completely re-do your face. You are beautiful the way you are, and you're unique. No one else looks like you! Plus, your looks won't matter if your attitude and character sucks.

2. "People don't want to hear about your diet. Just shut up, eat your lettuce, and be sad."

Nicole Byer and I probably are soul mates when it comes to food, because I hate lettuce. I'm all for eating healthy and taking care of your body, but don't overdo it. I'm a woman, I will support another woman who's wanting to accomplish her weight goal or healthy lifestyle change. But, I won't support you if I hear about it 24/7 and you look like a rabbit chewing on lettuce and carrots. Hearing about diets is just as painful as actually participating.

3. "Nobody's perfect. Except for Beyonce."

Nicole Byer is 100 percent right on the ball with this one as well. No one is perfect, and there's no holy grail book that defines what a perfect woman is. You are you and you are perfect in your own way. Plus, if everyone was perfect, then there would be nothing to work towards. Everyone makes mistakes, just learn from them.

4. "By the way: it is OK to be alone."

I was the girl who never went to senior prom, I stayed in on Fridays night (and still do a lot). It is perfectly alright to be without a boyfriend, because once you have one, sometimes you'll wish you were alone! Don't put the pressure on someone else, to help define yourself and make yourself feel better. Read a book, start a new Netflix series, take a walk, take a cooking class, there are so many avenues to spend time with yourself!

5. "It's good to be with other people that do the same thing as you and bond with them and know you're not a complete weirdo."

I am weird, I am not a normal 22 year old and I was never that crazy or "on the scene" in undergrad. I was lucky enough to find and still have friends who would rather stay in, and watch an historical documentary (or Family Guy).

6. "Every girl loves getting compliments."

Spread the love, tell someone she looks beautiful today or that you like her shoes! It's always good to make others feel good about themselves, because in this day in age, spreading love is greatly needed, rather than hatred.

7. Lastly, "Girl, own your body" (and life)!

Having confidence in yourself is key. Love yourself, accept your flaws, and drop the people who don't accept you for you. Everyone has flaws and if someone says she doesn't, then she needs a reality check.