Gifts We Should All Be Giving This Holiday Season

The best gifts aren't always wrapped up.

19
weknowyourdreams.com

I love gift-giving -- I mean, who doesn’t? I love checking items off the shopping list, picking out the prettiest wrapping paper, and showing my appreciation for others.

But it sure is stressful. We rush from store to store just to purchase the must-have items of the year. We get frustrated when online purchases get back ordered. We worry about finding the “right” gift for every single person on our lists. We constantly wonder if we should be giving more.

We get caught up in the tangibility of gift-giving -- there’s no denying it. Gifts tend to be in the form of hover boards, iPhones, new clothes, and gift cards. With the holiday season right around the corner, let’s remember that the best gifts aren’t always wrapped up.

Patience

If you haven’t realized it already, we live in an impatient world. We get annoyed when a friend doesn’t reply to a text seconds after it is sent. We roll our eyes when we get stuck behind a slow walker on the sidewalk. Traffic jams can bring out the worst in us. Practicing patience is a gift we can share with everyone around us.

Presence

The holiday season is meant to be spent with family and friends. So, let's spend the holiday season with family and friends. Put your worries aside, turn off your phone, and gift others with your presence.

Peace

In a world filled with conflict, peace is one of the greatest gifts we can give. Conflicts range from disagreements with family members, to discrimination towards individuals perceived as different, to wars and other global issues. This holiday season, forgive those you have hurt, respect those who differ from yourself, and pray for peace around the world.

Love

This is what the holiday season is about, after all. Instead of wrapping someone a gift, wrap them in a hug. Instead of writing someone a nice card, tell them in person. Share a kiss, a smile. You, not store-bought items, embody love.

As we approach the holiday season, let's remember that gift-giving is an action, not an object. Like they say, big things come in small packages.

Or no package at all.