Gift-Giving As A Love Language

Gift-Giving As A Love Language

It might seem materialistic at first glance, but gift-giving can be a surprisingly deep way to show affection.

90
Gift-Giving As A Love Language
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-gray-cardigan-giving-white-gift-box-1261373/

This is a response to Is It December Yet?

Baking cookies, looking at light displays, caroling in the snowy streets...these are all activities that come to mind as we approach the holiday season. And, of course, Christmas shopping.

Critics of the season's commercialism point out that gift exchanges have stolen the spotlight from the true "meaning," of Christmas. Which is, ostensibly, spending time with the people you love and being thankful for your blessings in life.

No need to add more possessions to that list, some might argue. You have enough to be grateful for without adding a new iPhone to the list.

I agree that most people in the U.S. have a lot to be grateful for. But I don't think that gift-giving is as separate from the spirit of love and gratitude as some people make it seem. Sure, if the only reason you're visiting your parents on Christmas is the hope that you'll see a new flatscreen TV under the tree, there's probably some issues worth examining.

But what people often forget is this- gift-giving is one of the main ways we show our love for each other. Receiving gifts is even one of the five love languages!

Personally, I love taking the time to browse around for the perfect gift for my loved ones. It brings me joy to know their preferences inside and out and choose an item I know will bring delight to their faces. Receiving a thoughtful gift goes beyond adding another material item to your list of possessions. It's a tangible sign that someone out there cares about you, knows you, and wants you to be happy.

So, if you love Christmas shopping as much as I do, let go of the guilt this season. You aren't shallow or materialistic for wanting to bring your loved ones joy.