A Gift For My Mom

A Gift For My Mom

Because she's the greatest.
10

If I got the timing just right, this will be posted on my mother’s birthday. Happy birthday, Mom!

When the calendar reaches this time of the year, fall comes around the corner, school kicks off once again, and I make myself dizzy thinking of the “perfect gift” for my mom. It’s kind of a tradition now. The annual gift ritual has never been a grab-something-and-wrap-it type of thing. That’s how I got here writing this article.

I could pour through all the exquisite words in the English language and still would never find a sufficient way to describe my mother. She’s kind, beautiful, dedicated, and humble, this latter quality serving as an obstacle in my quest for her birthday gift. She continually affirms that she doesn’t need to be given anything. Needless to say, I’ve always ignored this request. Sorry, Mom.

My mother is my rock. She’s basically magical. There’s no way I could settle for a standard gift off the shelf the night before her birthday, something for which she’d thank me and place back neatly in the box without a second thought. She deserves something truly meaningful, something that expresses at least a fraction of my abundant love and appreciation for all she has done for me in my two decades. If there’s one thing I know for certain, it’s that such a gift doesn’t exist. Trust me, I’ve looked and looked. There’s no such thing.

So I have to come up with an idea that works to at least come onto the radar. I’ve devoted careful thought into creating a gift that makes a feeble attempt to show the love and gratitude that can’t be adequately put into words. I’ve developed a handful of ideas and I’m anxiously-slash-excitedly waiting to give them to my mother. This article happens to be one of them.

Mom, thank you. I originally typed “for” at the end of that last sentence, but I realized there would be no way to write every item without making the run-on sentence of the century (and I know you wouldn’t care for a run-on, Mom!). Thank you for everything. I guess that encompasses the list of appreciation.

You are truly caring and I see this trait in action all the time. You’ve given me the best example anyone could ever desire and I’m honored to be your daughter. It’s a privilege to have you as a mother. It’s a blessing to have you as a friend. Your advice is priceless, your personality is endearing, and your love is boundless. You’re all the positive adjectives in the world.

Happy birthday to the most sensational woman I know. Everyone touts his or her mother as the greatest, but I’m sorry to everyone because mine is the greatest. Okay, I just joined “everyone,” but I truly mean it. You’re everything and more, Mom, and I wish you would take this day to recognize that because you deserve it. You don’t give yourself enough credit.

I have more plans for today, Mom, so beware. We’re going to celebrate. I love you.