8 of The Most Important Gibbs' Rules to live By

"I've seen bad turn good plenty of times, you can't lose faith" -Leroy Jethro Gibbs

75

During my junior year of college, I spent my time binge-watching NCIS to ease my mind during such a life-changing year. Season 15 has finally been released on Netflix. I have already spent two days watching the first ten episodes. Hence why I am writing this article. Two years later I still find Gibbs' rules to be incredibly relevant. (My mom does too, clearly, because she has convinced my entire family to name our next dog Jethro.)

Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Don't always believe what you're told. Double check.

(Yes, there are two rule 3's. *insert eye roll here*)

I always talk too much. It's who I am, it's what I do. Talking a lot requires me to ask a lot of questions. When you inquire, you learn more. You understand that there aren't two sides to every story, there are three. You start to put the pieces together that life isn't just black, white, truth, lies, right and wrong. It's all of the above and then some. Everyone sees the world and interpret it in their own way. That is why it's important to always ask questions.

2. Never be unreachable.

There's nothing worse than not hearing back. To me, this rule means that it's important to care about others. This can be in any aspect of life. Don't get too caught up in your own life that you forget that people value your presence in theirs. Don't forget to respond to that email. You never know what could come of it.

3. Don't waste good.

This explains itself and rule eight follows in line perfectly.

4. Never take anything for granted.

You never know how good you have it until it's gone.

5. When the job is done, walk away.

Overanalyzing and overworking is hard not to do when you want everything to be perfect. Here's a good example: When throwing pottery on a wheel, trying to fix every imperfection will weaken the piece, resulting in a collapse. Sometimes you need to take a step back. If you come back to it, great; but know when to quit. It's no fun feeling like a crumbled clump of clay.

6. If you need help, ask.

There's no harm in asking. We all need advice sometimes. It isn't healthy to have the only opinion in your life be yours, where's the learning and inquiring we talked about? We can't do it all; we aren't superheroes.

7. Clean up your messes.

Whether it be an argument, a fight or spilled milk, never leave it for someone else. If it's on you, take responsibility for it. It builds strength and character.

8. Sometimes - you're wrong.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not always right and neither are you. Everyone has different experiences and ever-changing opinions. There are times where situations aren't fully right or wrong; there's just a grey area. We for sure can't always get what we want in life, but it makes it one hell of a ride