Getting to Love God

Getting to Love God

1 John 4:19 " We love because He first loved us".

518
Getting to Love God
Stephanie Gresseau

Sometimes we say to ourselves "God I just want to love You above all" and this is the greatest desire that one can have. But, what I got to learn in my walk of faith is that our love for God only grow as we grow in Him meaning the only way to get to love Him is to get to know Him and stay close to Him and by that you will start to love Him more and more because He is love. The only way to truly know Him is to dive into His words.

For me, the first time I really felt like "OH GOD I LOVE YOU" was when I was in a moment of darkness and I was broken, and God just brought me out to light and He just put all the pieces back together ( I will tell you my salvation story on another piece). I was like OH GOD I LOVE YOU. That moment made me want to know more about Him. See??? That moment that I got to surrender all my brokenness to Him led to Love. There is always beauty in your brokenness, you just have to find it. ( click here to read my article there is beauty in your brokenness).

This is what God do; He is a loving and compassionate God. If you let him, He will show His face to you in many ways, but you just have to seek Him and let Him. You just HAVE TO! If you just go to church and go back home, yes you know He exist, yes you believe in Him, but you are not experiencing (recognizing) His love for you. If you are not recognizing His love for you, it is hard to get to love/know Him fully. Once you start to experience this Love, you will be able to pin point the many amazing things He does out of love throughout the day. Like, the sunrise, sunset, clothing, food, a roof over your head, electronics, school, job, family, health, and many more that I can't even dare to count. These are just a few things to look at during your day if you don't feel loved, and you will quickly remember that there is someone that loves you unconditionally.

But, just like any other relationship that involves love, you have to stay in connection to feel the intensity of this love. For instance, if when a man is courting a woman mostly he would go above and beyond to show her his interests and intentions. At the beginning of the relationship everything is usually just pink and lovey dovey. If you don't stay close enough and spend time together after marriage, then there will be a gap that starts to form and gaps aren't the best.

I felt that gap recently when I stopped spending alone time with God. I felt a void in me, I felt like something was missing, I felt like I was losing connection. Then, I remembered that God is the only one who can fill any gap/ void, and I also remembered that nothing can come between the love that He has for me. So, I cried to my Father, and He was right there waiting for me with His arms wide open. Back to my romantic relationship example, if a husband misses his wife he will feel the need of going back because he will feel like He is missing something. This is exactly what the love of God will do to you.

God is a loving God, and He will never leave nor forsake you, so just hold on to Him. I want you to know that if you feel like you are straying away, it's okay, He is still there even if you don't feel His presence. The only thing is you have to be honest with yourself and God because He knows your thoughts, so do not pretend. Instead of pretending, just tell Him exactly how you feel about where you are and cry out for help.

I share all this with you to encourage you and to remind you that the Love God has for you is unconditional meaning you don't/ can't do anything to earn it. His grace is sufficient and it's unmerited ( Romans 11:6 and if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace). Also, ALWAYS remember Romans 8:38-39 "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord".

I am still amazed by everything that God is doing in my life and in the life of the people around me no matter how many time I have failed Him. Just like Paul, I do not have a full hold of this walk, I don't know what I am doing, I don't have it all together, I don't always know the way, I make the wrong choices and say the wrong things when I am alone. The only way that I get to keep on going is by holding on to God, His love ,and His words because I know that He will always be there for me to lead the way and all I will have to do is follow because He loves me and His love will endure forever.

Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I can assure you that the same way I loved God 7 months ago is not the same way I loved Him 7 weeks ago. The same way I loved Him 7 days ago is not the same way I love Him today because He just keeps on renewing his blessings daily even if I don't deserve it. But, most importantly I know Him better today than I did 7 months ago. The main KEY to LOVING GOD is to GET TO KNOW HIM because if you don't know HIM you can say with your mouth that you LOVE HIM but when you search your heart will that love be there? 1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is LOVE.

I really hope you got to experience this unconditional love because the more I know about God, His love, grace and mercy, the more I love Him. I just want everyone to experience this love. ALWAYS REMEMBER Psalm 107:1 " Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His love endures forever.

Xoxo,

DD