9 Ways To Get To Know Your Roommate

9 Ways To Get To Know Your Roommate

How to build a relationship with someone you just met.

89
9 Ways To Get To Know Your Roommate
Ashley Rose

When moving to college most of the time roommates are randomly selected for you by use of a simple questionnaire. You now have to live with this person that you have never previously met and you are expected to make a peaceful life together. A stranger that you have known for five minutes and be friends with them. Like what? Sometimes this can be a challenge; other times roommates click instantly and there is never an issue. But, for those instances where you don’t know where to begin with your new found friend here are a few helpful tips to get the ball rolling smoothly.

1. Talk to each other.

Communication is the key to any good relationship. Talking to your roommate will be essential in finding out the important details of their personalities and their lives. So ask them questions. Find out what their favorite color is, where they went to high school, what their favorite sports team is, or even how they like their coffee. But don’t stop there. There is always something else you can learn about the person you are living with and the more you know the closer you will be. It’s also important to talk about things that bother each of you. If something comes up between you, which it inevitably will, just talk it out. Holding something in can create a bigger issue when a simple problem could have been solved by just communicating with each other.

2. Be courteous to each other.

When it comes to living with another person respect is always needed. So respect your roommate’s belongings and their privacy. Don’t have people over without consulting your roommate first. Don’t eat all of their Doritos or drink their chocolate milk without their permission. Respect your roommate’s practices. If they aren’t a morning person don’t play loud music before ten in the morning. (Same if they go to bed early.) And do not go through or borrow their stuff without their permission.

3. Be courteous to the space that you share.

When sharing a room with someone it is important to honor the space that you are sharing. For example; don’t leave your shoes laying around the floor, or your dirty clothes in the middle of the bathroom floor. Try not to leave your Mexican food in the fridge that you share for three weeks. Don’t leave your exploded food in the microwave. Simple courtesies can go a long way.

4. Make decisions together.

One person should not make a decision that impacts both of you. No matter what it is. Consult each other about decisions that will impact the both of you. Whether it be moving furniture around the room or what temperature the thermostat should be on.

5. Spend time together.

Get to know your roommate. Set aside a time to watch a movie together or go out bowling one night. Find some way to connect outside of the college campus. Spend some time with your roommate really getting to know what makes them smile.

6. Make a fair cleaning schedule, and stick to it.

Keeping the room that you share clean and functional is an important step in creating a good living environment for both of you. You need to start out with a cleaning schedule that you can both abide by and are both okay with. Talk about what each of you wouldn’t mind cleaning up, or trade up each week to keep things different. Write down whatever you decide in a place that both of you can see and if something doesn’t get done don’t have a fit about it. (Refer back to number one.)

7. Be aware of their schedules.

Wondering where your roommate might be or worrying because you haven’t seen them in two days can be stress inducing. It’s important to keep up with each other. Not just for safety reasons but also just to be aware of where the other person is. If your roommate has practice at five am it might be important to know that so you don’t keep them up until midnight the night before, or worry about them when you wake up and they are gone.

8. Make sure they are OK.

Check in with your roommate every once and a while. The move to college can be stressful for some people while others find it easy to adjust to. Take a minute to talk about how your roommate’s week has been or ask them the last time they spoke to their mom. Even something as simple as checking in to make sure they don’t need anything before you make a trip to the store can be beneficial to the both of you.

9. Support them.

Whatever your roommate is trying to do, support them. Whether it’s a really difficult class they are taking, a sport they are pursuing, or just trying to get up the courage to join an organization support them. They are living pretty much on their own for the first time ever, just like you, so leaning on each other for support will not only bring you closer but will give you each a person to have standing beside you.