Getting Rid Of Your Poverty Mentality

Getting Rid Of Your Poverty Mentality

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." III John 1:2 KJV

176
Getting Rid Of Your Poverty Mentality
Educate & Equip

Before we begin, I want to make something very clear: in everything you do, you should always use wisdom. Although God can and will give you more than you could ever ask or dream, you cannot be irresponsible with the money, possessions, et cetera that God gives you.

Please use wisdom and seek God in every decision you make.

A lot of us have had a poverty mindset for far too long. Yes, we are supposed to be cheerful givers and be generous to others--especially those less fortunate than us--however, where in the Bible does it say that you're supposed to lack anything? As a matter of fact, it says the exact opposite:

"O [reverently] fear the Lord, you His saints (believers, holy ones); For to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions lack [food] and grow hungry, But they who seek the Lord will not lack any good thing."Psalms 34:9-10 AMP

As Christians, we believe that God is our everything: Lord, Redeemer, Father, Provider, the list goes on. If God is our provider, why should we ever run out of anything? Why are churches struggling to make payments? Why are there still Christians living in poverty when God is supposed to be their ultimate source for everything, and He promises all of us prosperity?

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

There are multiple reasons why someone may not be receiving all of the blessings God has planned for them:

1.It could be because they (or you) are not tithing or offering but are instead gripping your money so tight, the ink is dripping from it. You may not realize that when you give, you will receive so much more from God in return.

"Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure--pressed down, shaken together, and running over [with no space left for more]. For with the standard of measurement you use [when you do good to others], it will be measured to you in return." Luke 6:38 AMP

2. It could be because God is trying to grow you in this certain season right now, and it is not time for all of the blessings He has promised you just yet.

"So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9 NLT

3. Or because you have to be faithful in the little God has given you now before you can be faithful in the many blessings He will give you later.

"His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’" Matthew 25:21 NLT
4. Perhaps, prosperity isn't happening simply because you didn't know that God promised you prosperity. You bought into the lie that Christians are supposed to be poor, which--when you think about it--doesn't make any sense. Yes, we are supposed to give (we should even desire to and be cheerful when we give), but God is not a God of lack: He is a God of abundance. It doesn't make sense for a Christian to live in poverty! How could we, as Christians, bless others if we are not first blessed ourselves? (Gal. 9-6-10)
"And God is able to make all grace [every favor and earthly blessing] come in abundance to you, so that you may always [under all circumstances, regardless of the need] have complete sufficiency in everything [being completely self-sufficient in Him], and have an abundance for every good work and act of charity." II Corinthians 9:8 AMP
5. Finally, it could be because your heart may not be in the right place. This life is not about having nice cars, big houses, and an abundance of money. None of that matters. Those are all worldly possessions. When God gives to you, it's so He can get it throughyou; so you can show the world how good God is. He does it, so you can be a blessing to others. He blesses you, so you can fund and be a part of the end-time harvest. Notice how nearly every verse points back to doing good to others. Don't do it out of a desire to receive; do it out of the love you have both for God and for others. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how much you give. If you're doing it for the wrong reasons (and any reason aside from the love you have for God and for others is wrong), it means nothing.
"If I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it does me no good at all." I Corinthians 13:3 AMP

Don't get caught up in the items; stay focused on the Kingdom. Give to others without expecting anything in return. Stay focused on the fact that possessions are meaningless to God. God does not care about money; He cares about people--His children. He blesses you, so you can bless others and show them that God truly does love them. Yes, you can prosper financially, for God will always make sure that you have more than enough, but always remember that it is about people understanding that God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life and not about how much money you have in your bank account.

"Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]--To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever. Amen (so be it)."
Ephesians 3:20-21 AMPC