10 Reasons Getting A Dog Is Good For Your Health

10 Ways Getting A Dog Is The Most Pawsitive Thing You Can Do For Your Health In 2020

It's the goodest idea.

66

Every year, there's a lot of discussion about what diets are the best. With new diet trends coming out every few months, a lot of people have been wondering what's the healthiest thing they can do. But before you immediately jump into starting a diet, you should consider the real winner for your health in 2020 — getting a dog!

No, I'm not kidding! Having a dog can have so many benefits! Just ask any dog owner, and they will immediately tell you how beneficial it is to own a dog. But what makes owning a dog healthier than being on a Keto or Mediterranean diet? Well, here are 10 reasons that owning a dog is the best diet you could choose for the year!

1. They can help improve your mental health

Photo by Eric Ward on Unsplash

Dogs can actually improve mental health! A 2016 study at the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom looked at patients who suffered from a mental illness. Sixty percent stated that their pet was the most important part of their support connections. Dogs can help with coping with mental illness such as PTSD — just reason to love the pets that we have.

2. You WILL have a more active lifestyle

Beth Thompson / Unsplash

Who needs a treadmill when you have a dog to keep you exercising? Dogs can help you with having a more active lifestyle! Going on long walks can help you with staying active. You can also go on bike rides or jog with your dog, which can also help you get out of your house more.

3. Dogs will cheer you up when you're having a rough day

Jamie Street / Unsplash

Dogs can also help stave off depression since people who own dogs have shown to be happier! According to NAMI, just playing with a dog can elevate oxytocin and dopamine, which can boost positive feelings. Most people who own a dog will tell you that they experience a lot of happiness. So forget trying a new diet to keep you happy — get a dog who can help you whenever you need a companion!

4. They improve heart health

Jonatan Burneo / Unsplash

Dogs have actually shown to reduce blood pressure and keep your heart healthy! One reason is that dogs help you maintain an active lifestyle. Having a dog means that you get tons of exercise, which can help improve your heart health. It's one reason why dogs are considered man's best friend!

5. They can help you lose weight

Charles Deluvio / Unsplash

Because dogs can help you have a more active lifestyle, they help you with losing weight! Who needs a diet when you have a dog to help you burn some calories? With a dog, you're always walking or going for a jog. It's hard to not be active when you have a dog in your life, which is why they're the best diet to go on!

6. Your social life will escalate

Kenan Kitchen / Unsplash

With a dog, you never feel lonely. Dogs are great for keeping yourself from feeling lonely since they always will keep you company and will be there for you no matter what. Unlike humans, dogs don't have hard feelings and are always there for their owners. They can also give you a better social life since dogs can keep you out of the house walking them and interacting with other dog owners. People who love dogs will also want to come and talk to you if they see you walking with a dog as well.

7. They give you a purpose

Adam Griffith / Unsplash

A lot of people who own dogs will let you know that their dog tends to make them feel like they have more of a meaning to life. Dogs make you feel like you have some type of purpose since it's your job to care for them.

8. They can help you battle disease

Roberto Nickson / Unsplash

With a dog, they can actually help with battling diseases. No, seriously! Dogs have been shown to be able to smell diseases such as cancer and alert their owners. There have been some dogs that have been trained to alert cancer patients so that they can get treatment before it's too late. Plus, dogs can also help prevent other diseases such as arthritis since they increase mobility for their owners. It's one reason why dogs can lead to such a healthy lifestyle!

9. Dogs can help reduce your stress

Helena Lopes / Unsplash

Almost any college student can tell you how beneficial dogs can be with reducing stress! Dogs work as amazing service animals or as a stress reliever! Dogs can detect any anxiety you're feeling and find a way to help make you feel better. They can also help keep your mind off of things that stress you out such as tests, work, or grades. Just hugging or petting a dog can be a huge stress reliever!

10. They offer protection

Mladen Scekic / Unsplash

Finally, owning a dog can give you more protection, not just with your health, but from any physical harm. A lot of dogs can serve as guard dogs who will keep you safe from harm. They can protect you both when you're at home or walking alone. In addition, if you end up injured at home, they can alert others. It's another reason why having a dog offers so many benefits!

If you haven't already been convinced as to why having a dog is beneficial, just ask anyone who owns a dog why having one is amazing! There's a reason why dogs are man's best friend, and they can offer so much comfort to whoever owns one! Plus, who needs to be on a Keto diet when you have a dog that can offer you even more health benefits?