6 Reasons Why It's So Important To Get Involved On Campus

This one isn't just for the freshman

4

Being someone who was involved in as many extra circulars and clubs that I could be all throughout elementary, middle, and high school, I knew that nothing would change when I went to college. As soon as the freshman club fair began, I ran up to every table and wrote my name down with excitement. As I'm about to begin my sophomore year in a few days, I have only added clubs to my already very long list. Being involved and having something to do on campus many seem like too much to handle, but I have only had very positive experiences from it my entire life, and that’s why you should do it to!

1. Making New Friends

What better way to make new friends then to both be in a club meeting that’s based on a topic that you both love? I met my closest friends and even my boyfriend through getting involved in Student Government and Campus Ministry. Being in a club means you will find people who have the same interests and hobbies as you, and you may even find someone who has the same future goals as you! This is the best way to make really great, long lasting friendships.

2. There's Always Something To Do

Every club on campus has events planned, especially at the beginning of the year. Whether it's a dance, a bake sale, or a guest speaker, there is always something to do when you get bored. If you go to these events, you will find other people who go to these vents, and soon enough, you will have a new group of friends to go to every event with!

3. Closer Relationship with Professors

Trust me: You want nothing more than to be on your Professor's good side, especially if said professor is the one teaching you all the classes for your major. I loved my Communications and Journalism Professors from the start, and now not only are these professors teaching me in class, but I am assisting one of them in teaching the freshman course. Having a relationship with them and knowing they have your back really pushes you to succeed, and we all can use some of their support.

4. Opportunity For Growth

When you first join a club, you start as just one of the members. However, when you stay dedicated to that club, there's a chance to go higher up and get an executive position. Current presidents are always looking out for the most involved and dedicated members to take their position, and that could be you. Not only does this help you grow within the club, but it helps you meet new people and form new relationships, which always leads to more awesome opportunities on campus that you probably didn't even know where available.

5. A Professional Experience

Being a Senator for Student Government means going to meetings and events and dressing professionally. Being in charge of things and scheduling meetings and events for clubs gives you the experience you are going to need when you get an internship and eventually a real job. These are easy ways to get used to the professional atmosphere that you will join someday.

6. A Great Reputation (And Resume)

Making a good name for yourself and upholding that standard is something you should always aim to do in your life. Being involved and having time management when juggling all these responsibilities shows how mature and responsible you are as a young adult. Not to mention that when you do all these things, your resume is going to look wonderful, something that will help you when you start to look for jobs.

So get involved! Trust me, you won't regret it!