This Is How To Get Through Finals

A Guide On How To Get Yourself Through Finals Week

fi·nal/fīnl/

adjective

1.coming at the end of a series.

119

It is clearly obvious that this topic will be written about for the next couple of weeks. Some may give you good tips, some may not.

Trust me, if you read this, you are guaranteed to kick ass on all of your finals. Being the insanely organized person I am when it comes to schools, I have a consistent method when it comes to exams, midterms, and finals week. Everyone has their own way to study. Everyone has their own process.

But being a first-year student, I found it really irritating to really figure out exactly how to study, because every class has their differences. Fear no more, let me explain how I get through exams week.

1. Relax

Honestly. It will be okay. It is not the end of the world. Yeah, you may not feel prepared, that is okay too. Suppose you missed classes and have fallen behind on material, it happens. Instead of worrying yourself out of your mind, utilize office hours, reach out to students for missed materials, take the time to learn the material, or create a study group.

2. Find out all assignment due dates and exam dates

Really, the first step to getting through the end of the semester alive is by staying organized. I will say it a million more times. When you have all of your dates organized before you begin anything else, you can really break down a good study schedule.

3. Make study guides

Let's face it, we are in college. I can count using two fingers of how many times I was given the opportunity to use a study guide to prepare for an exam. Study guides are a fading, distant privilege. Start making your study guides. Really focus on what your professor is trying to get across to you, write down key ideas in presentations, focus on what your professor is talking about, do not solely rely on the slideshows or whatnot.

4. Sleep

Although pulling all-nighters may sound like a good idea in preparation for an exam, not getting the proper amount of sleep can be harmful to you as well as your grades.

5. Start studying ​now

This goes hand in hand with sleep. If you start studying now, even as little as reading through your notes before bedtime, you will start to become familiar with the material. You become familiar with the material, the more confident you are with the material, the less anxious and stressed you are when finals week rolls around the corner. Get what I'm saying?

6. Eat healthy

Honestly, if you are living in the dorms, eating at the cafeteria it may be really hard to actually eat healthily. Eat smart. Portion yourself. Don't stuff yourself on a study break, you'll feel like a potato and just want to lounge, and in result, shit will not get done.

7. Exercise

Take a study break, go on a brisk walk around campus. Maybe walk to a nearby coffee shop and study there. Maybe run a marathon, or a mile, or whatever. Exercising is the BEST way to reduce stress, trust me.

8. Breathe

Give yourself breaks and just relax. Power naps may be essential.

Do not be so hard on yourself. You are smart. You are capable. Procrastinating is detrimental on finals week, and the weeks leading up to it. Grind out these last few weeks, empower yourself! You got this. Have faith in yourself. I'm rooting for you!