Perfection Will Never Happen, So Get Some Sleep

Life Doesn't Have to Be Perfect

Or, The life-Changing Art of getting ready in 45 minutes

47

It is a life-changing event when you decide to take less time to get ready in any single day. Suddenly, you can take the extra ten minutes to sleep, you can go and get yourself the coffee, and you can get yourself breakfast. You can do a lot of things when you decide to take a little bit less time to get ready, which is why I have started to do it. After years and years of waking up far too early in order to get ready and look like what I felt like was presentable before leaving the house, I have realized that that was an absolutely insane thing to do I can now get ready in a full 45 minutes. Not bad, if I have to say so myself. I've done far worse in the past and will do far worse in the future.

Getting ready in the morning is one of those things that I cannot explain to anyone because it is both the thing that I am the best at and the bane of my existence.

Blame myself for how long it used to take me to get ready. I used to have to wake up about two hours before I really needed to in order to blow dry and usually straighten my hair, put on a full face of makeup, and get dressed in a decent outfit. Two hours of my life would be spent on that. Two hours every day that I will never get back.

It was coming to college that made me realize I didn't need to spend that long getting ready: I look fine. I don't need to put on a full face of makeup and contour every single day, I still look fine without it. I don't have to blowout and then proceed to straighten my hair, wear heels, and a pair of jeans that really don't fit. I don't need it. It is time that I do not get back when I spend it.

And so, at the beginning of this semester, I began to limit the amount of time I take to get ready to one hour. It's been life changing I decide on what I am going to wear the night before, and I pack up my backpack the night before. I get to sleep for an extra fifteen minutes just by doing that. I still blow dry and often straighten my hair, but I make sure that it doesn't take me an hour like it used to. If it's not 100% perfect, that's okay.

Not everything in life has to be perfect, and that's okay. I Wear a third of the makeup that I used to wear, and it takes ten minutes to put it on. I made the conscious decision that life doesn't have to always be perfect, and it has been one of the most freeing decisions that I have made in my entire life.