'Poldark's' George Warleggan Isn't Evil, Just Misunderstood

George Warleggan may appear to be pure evil, but let's delve deeper into how he is just misunderstood.

1305

George Warleggan really isn't that bad, he is just misunderstood.

Yes, he's horrible to protagonist Ross Poldark, but we can't say he didn't have it coming! After what happened between Ross and Elizabeth… George's questioning of the legitimacy of the child was wholly fair, the fact that Elizabeth made him cry and swear over the bible that he wouldn't again mention it, basically because she realized he was close to obtaining the truth, really was a mean move on Elizabeth's behalf — she practically broke poor George in half.

We know that from a young age Ross Poldark and his cousin Francis weren't very nice to George. Therefore, he has his reasons to dislike Ross, right? Yes, obviously jealousy was initially a huge factor for dislike where Elizabeth was concerned, but now George really has no one that truly loves him.

The Poldarks haven't exactly been lovely to George. Let's continue with Agatha. I know he wasn't the loveliest to her but, she even said in a particular scene how stupid he looked.

A young boy in his "frills" saying his mother had "no taste" as to be expected, this annoyed George and he argued back.

In all seriousness, I view George Warleggan as being misunderstood. His uncle just cares about himself and his money, when Elizabeth was on her deathbed, following her fall, all George's uncle could care about was the unborn child – he could not care less about Elizabeth, who we know to be as George's only true love. So much for a family, eh?

Granted, he still calls Demelza a "scullery maid" which isn't exactly kind — he did try to get Ross executed. But, he didn't exactly have a wonderful life? What I can gather is that George has a reason for what he does which means he is a logical, smart man. Yes, he has his major flaws just like Ross, but you have to feel sorry for the poor man.

All Ross does it beat George up, Ross always wins. Therefore, he resorts to taking boxing lessons. All he wants to do is defend himself, poor George.

If anything, it can be said that George does all he does just to please his horrid uncle. This might just be my way of thinking, but George has no father, therefore, his uncle is the only male figure in his life, therefore he has inherited these cruel ways from him. Just think, imagine a kind George Warleggan — how different would it be?

All I see is a man who wants nothing but the best for him and his family.

He may have selfish ways of accomplishing things but it is just the way he has been brought up, he cannot help the poor upbringing he has had, I don't mean poor in the sense of money (obviously!) but poor in the sense of quality.