15 Unique Distinctions That Show How Different Gen Z Is From Millennials

12. Gen Z is more entrepreneurial and independent

1323
Unsplash

It can be easy to clump Millennials (born 1977-1995) and Generation Z (born after 1995) into one category as they share many similarities. At surface level, both generations have been pegged as more technology savvy, more radical in their thinking, more tolerant to new concepts, and even more lazy at times.

However, there are many differences between these two generations mainly due to the environment in which they grew up.

Generation Z grew up during a recession with skeptical and straight-shooter Generation X parents. Millennials grew up during the rise of technology and with encouraging and helicopter Baby Boomer parents.

Because of this, these two generations have distinct mindsets and tendencies. Here are 15 differences between Generation Z and Millenials

1. Millennials tend to have more optimistic mindsets

Generation Z is more pragmatic and realistic.This is probably due to the fact that Millenials grew up in a thriving economy, while many Gen Z lived during the 2008 recession.

2. Generation Z tends to be more cautious and mindful of their spending

It more likely you’ll witness a millennial make an extravagant purchase than a gen zer who would be more frugal.

3. Generation Z is more diverse

Gen Z is the most diverse generation and therefore have a greater tolerance of diversity.

4. Millennials gravitate towards online shopping

Dispite common belief, more of Gen Z prefer shopping at physical stores while Millenials lean towards the efficiency of online shopping.

5. Generation Z prefers authenticity over photoshopped/fake advertisements

Studies have shown that ads depicting real, unedited people are more successful with Gen Z audiences

6. Millennials care more about name brands

Gen Z cares less about the name of the brand and more about the quality and individuality of a product. This is probably why thrift shopping is a growing trend for them.

7. Fewer members of Generation Z are content with their lives

This is most likely due to Gen Z living with more stress, family pressure, academic competition, and obligation to be successful.

8. Millennials spend more time on social media

Gen Z is actually on social media less than Millenials. Gen Z is also less likely to share public information as willingly and prefer social media that allows them to have personal and private conversations (i.e. snapchat).

9. Millennials had more involved parents in their childhood

In a poll, it was shown that Gen Z had less involved parents and family dinners were not as valued as it was for millenials

10. Generation Z has smaller attention spans

Because they grew up with advanced technology, Gen Z doesn't have to face as much buffering, loading, or time consuming situations. Because of this, their patience is much smaller than Millennials and other generations before them.

11. Generation Z is better at multi-tasking

Gen Z have mastered being efficient and shifting quickly between tasks.

Millennials are more inclined to work collaboratively while Gen Z prefer independent work.

13. Millennials have lower expectations

Gen Z expect products to be reliable and work well. They have less grace and forgiveness for inefficiency and malfunctions.

14. Gen Z would rather spend their money on an experience (i.e. dinner, movie, event)

While Millennials are more inclined to invest in a specific product, Gen Z will most likely spend smaller purchases on items or experiences that promote relationships and experiences.

15. Millennials prefer and are better at working collaboratively

When given the option, Gen Z tend to prefer working independently rather than collaboratively.

While there are many distinctions between these two generations, in the end, they both are facing the world in a time where technology drives society and the status quo is constantly being redefined. Together, they enter work force, become our leaders, and drive the world towards a new and modern direction.