Gender Roles: Should We Challenge Them or Conform?

It's no longer the 1950s.

1104
The Sunday Times

Try as we may, we do still live in an era of oppression. Sure, sexism isn't as easy to see as it was in the 1940s or 1950s, but it's still there. Not just to women, but to men as well. This isn't a one sided battle between women and society, though. It is between all genders.

Gender roles are defined as "a set of societal norms dictating what types of behaviors are generally considered acceptable, appropriate or desirable for a person based on their actual or perceived sex."

But what does this actually mean? Basically, it's how society as a whole thinks you should act at any given moment based on what gender you are. Any deviance from those norms will make you ostracized. Gender roles are stereotypes that are culturally bound. They are even found in deeply religious families, whether they be Christian, Muslim, or Judaism. They are everywhere.

This past year, I was privileged enough to take a nonverbal communications course at the University of North Alabama, where I learned about the stigmas and stereotypes that surround how people -- particularly men and women -- act.

Everyone is taught at a young age how to behave. This process is called socialization and it happens everywhere, from school to work, and at home. Men are expected to be strong and silent, to never cry, and to always be tough. Woman are regulated to staying at home, learning to be ladylike, and cooking. Men who wish to stay at home, cook, and take on the traditional feminine roles are treated negatively. If you show your emotion, you are called gay. If you're a women who hangs around other men, even without sleeping with them, you are called a slut.

So who wins in this situation? No one. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

Look at our media, today. Men are, typically, the action heroes. If a woman wants to portray the same type of character, they must take on all the masculine qualities and sacrifice the feminine. I want to reach the point where we are no longer celebrating and getting excited about a female superhero. I want it to be the norm. Society still celebrates the idea of women in powerful positions, instead of actually letting it happen.

Take the recent controversy surrounding "Jurassic World" concerning Claire Dearing, the movie's female protagonist. She was criticized for her non-maternal behavior and her clothing choices (i.e. she wore the same outfit -- including heels -- for the duration of the movie). In her defense, at what point does she have the chance to change her clothes? She was dressed for a business meeting because she was in charge of the park. For some reason, a career driven woman frightens people, even more so a woman who doesn't want kids.

My thoughts on gender roles?

Screw them. I hate cleaning and doing household chores (ask my mom), but that shouldn't make me less of a woman for it. I choose to challenge these gender roles.As a feminist, I believe that people have the right to choice how they want to live their lives, male, female, or other. No one has the right to tell you what to do based on your gender.

I don't want to be stuck in a kitchen cooking for the rest of my life, no matter how much I actually enjoy cooking. I don't want to have a dozen children running around my house. I don't want someone to assume I am a airhead based on how much make I put or on or the clothes I wear. I also don't want to hear how I am less of a woman for not feeling warm and fuzzy when it comes to babies.

However, you never going to be less of a person for choosing to stick with the traditional gender roles. Remember that. The choice is up to you. If you feel that you that you want to adhere to traditional gender roles, then go for it. All that matters is that you want to, not someone else wanting you to. At the same time, I believe you shouldn't push the envelope just to say that you did.

I will be the first to say that I know absolutely nothing about how to fix a car or build something other than a birdhouse. Do I have enough guts to figure it out? Sure, I can do that. Do I know how to change a lure on a fishing rod and reel it in? I sure do. Do I know how to make the best chocolate chip cookies you have ever had in your life? You betcha.

Those are choices I made. As much as I try, I will never know how to fix a car. I will always turn to my dad to help me. I will keep making delicious cookies, and forever hope that, one day, my dad will surprise me with a fishing license so we can go fish.

Your life should be your own, not someone else's.