Learning In College: Does It Help In The Real World?

I still have no idea what to expect when it comes to life after college, and I really don't think that learning about how to open Photoshop ten times is really helpful for a senior to learn.

4
www.pexels.com

I know what you are thinking. College is a time to learn about what you want to do for the rest of your life. College is a time to expand your thinking and really be able to learn new things about people, life, and working with others.

The thing is, why is that in every college class I have ever taken, I wait for it to be over? Why do I moan and groan about the terrible assignments, and dread presenting about something that I never wanted to research?

No one wants to sit through an Archeology class unless that is your major, and even still, I am sure Archeology majors are bored out of their minds unless they are doing hands-on work. In college, we have so many classes that we have to take that we wouldn't have necessarily taken if we weren't forced by the curriculum.

When we are in our majors, however, we usually are able to find some meaning to some of the courses we are taking. I am a film major at Rowan, and while I really enjoy some of the factors of the program, I feel that many of the courses are too slow-paced when it comes to actually working with equipment, and classes that teach theory are just plain boring.

I still have no idea what to expect when it comes to life after college, and I really don't think that learning about how to open Photoshop ten times is really helpful for a senior to learn. I feel in most cases, when we actually have an internship or a job when we get older, we will learn way more about our fields than we would in a classroom.

College is just a qualifier to get a high-paying job. As long as you graduated and got decent grades, jobs will consider you for being hired. The content of our education on Calculus does not matter for our jobs if they aren't math-focused. Our Drama class isn't going to help us if we are studying to be a lawyer.

I thought we were done taking irrelevant courses after high school.