Gaming Experiences

Gaming Experiences

What some button pressing can do for you (and a friend)

3
Gaming Experiences
Neo Bux

If life is all about the experiences and the people you meet, then you would want the best of each, right? But it's pretty hard to get as many experiences as you can into one life, and a person's contact list can only be so full before they're a stranger to everyone.

I've been diving into old video games lately (some for fun, others for sport) and I've been feeling what I at first thought was just nostalgia, but was more akin to a journey. Playing a few recent titles gave me this feeling of completing a circle, or returning somewhere that you've been before.

My guess is that it's my new perspective on video games, in contrast to how I felt about them as a child. Competitive gaming has a way of leaking into even the simplest genre, such as a Super Mario title. This community always seems to want to get the full range of possibilities out of anything that’s loaded into their consoles. It's definitely my favorite aspect about it, since there can be a lot of negativity to be found in some of these groups. That just comes with being human.

For that reason, when two gamers sit down, controllers in hands, and set out to tackle and adventure or throw down against each other, I and many others believe that it's something special that shouldn't be looked down on. A friend said to me that there is something sacred to finishing a game. I'm inclined to agree: I hope that people are at least able to admit that a video game can be an interesting experience. Thekeyword here, and my entire point, is experience.

I'm not interested in taking a side in the discussion of whether or not video games are a waste of time. There are plenty of points for either side to cite and where you stand in the argumentmostly depends on your personal value system. My hope is that there be a prevalent mutuality from both sides on the subject of a video game's value, and where human interaction is concerned, video games are priced highly

For those who haven't tried co-op gaming, it's pretty fantastic. Find the right person with whom you have good chemistry (and obviously a good verbal rapport) and the game becomes something wonderful. Maybe it's simply having a clear cut objective, a number of tools at your disposal, and someone reliable alongside you to make a fantastic memory.

The best part is that there are innumerable video games that have many challenges for two or more gamers to face together, or even for them to contest against each other. You can decide who are your allies and who are your victims. It's empowering and connecting. If you're willing, these experiences that these games have for you can actually affect you for the better. They are experiences that are capable of changing you, or at least having a lasting effect on you. Think about how many friendships have legitimately been tarnished by a round of Mario Party.

How often do you get to see what a person would do when their back is against the wall? Or what if it's your back against the wall, and they might be the one who can help? Some of us can't help but not take such situations seriously. That just tells you that they're jokesters who might have a hard time taking things seriously. On the opposite end of that, there are those who treat it like life or death. Good leader material, some might say. Whatever the case, a video game being a virtual simulation of intense situations allow people to explore their own mind through the choices that they make, and that of their comrades if they have one.

I've indulged in video games run-throughs alongside friends as well. Just watching another person's experience can be rewarding. It's sometimes like two people have stumbled upon someone else's diary. Both of you get to dwell on what either of you would have done in their shoes, and occasionally call the other out on their bull.

Not every game is a gem, nor is every game really appropriate for every demographic, but there are too many to pass up for someone looking to see or feel something crazy. That feeling that they're looking for might be a blast of fear from a survival horror, or silly fun from a platformer. Either way, alone or with someone, there are many things to feel and live through, whether physical or virtual.