If The 2016 Presidential Candidates Were 'Game of Thrones' Characters

Welcome to Game of Votes.

42

Many of the potential candidates for the 2016 presidential election are being announced, and you might be wondering how they stack up to one another. I have diligently compared them the characters of one of today's most prominent TV shows, Game of Thrones, in order to predict their fate in this twisting and turning battle for the White House. November is coming.

Spoiler Alert: If you aren't caught up, this article may give away key plot details.

Chris Christie: Joffrey Baratheon

Similar to Joffrey, Christie is a loud-mouthed candidate, who’s more bark than bite. He has a temper, and speaks before thinking. His mouth is what he’s known for, and might be what leads to his downfall.

Bobby Jindal: High Sparrow

Jindal’s biggest supporters are conservative Christians. Similar to the High Sparrow, he has a large group that support an agenda with ties to religion. He also seems to have come out of nowhere to shake up the GOP. He’s quiet now, but there’s a good chance he could make a large impact on the 2016 election.

Donald Trump: Viserys Targaryen

He’s everyone's favorite person to hate and thinks his wealth is synonymous with his ability to lead. He also has a zero percent chance of becoming president. Like Viserys, he’s pretty much insulted every group of people that could help him get to the Oval Office, and yet he still keeps trying. I’m not saying Miss Mexico will pour liquid gold on his head, but it would be ironic.

Jeb Bush: Stannis Baratheon

Jeb is the overshadowed brother of a former ruler, just like Stannis. Now that his brother is no longer in the thrown, he believes it’s his time to shine. Although he has to approach his path to the oval office in a more creative manner than his brother, he still has a better shot than most at taking the throne. Let’s just hope Jeb doesn’t have a red priestess to do his dirty work.

Rick Perry: Theon Greyjoy

Like Theon, Perry has gone through some major changes lately. I can’t say if his new appearance is an attempt to gain better rapport with young voters, or just because he likes the hipster vibe, but either way, it seems to be working for him. He’s gained a lot more followers since the last time he tried running for president. Maybe he’ll be a surprise contender for the American throne.

Lindsey Graham: Tyrion Lannister

Let’s face it, Graham doesn’t really care if he’s nominated or not. He’s just here to give the Republican Party a candidate who actually looks like he could be president. In all honesty, he’s just a smart politician who’s there to help the GOP gain control of the presidency. And similar to Tyrion, he’s made comments to have a rotating first lady if he's elected.

Rick Santorum: Ramsay Bolton

Santorum is the kind of candidate who was never really important until someone with power took him under his belt. Mitt Romney is to Santorum as Roose Bolton is to his illegitimate child, Ramsay. Now that he has ridden the coattails of importance, he feels as if people really want him as a Commander-in-Chief. There might be a few groups of people out there who would follow him to the White House, but in all reality, most people only know him for his “frothy” nickname from last election season.

Mike Huckabee: Arya Stark

After being a big deal in the 2008 election, Huckabee’s biggest struggle will be to show he’s still relevant in this election. The opportunity has arisen, so he believes this year could be his year. But, while some are excited for his return, many of America's citizens would have the same reaction to hearing his name as they would to hearing Arya's. “He’s still alive?”

Carly Fiorina: Cersei Lannister

Election campaigns are just getting started and already Fiorina is slinging mud. Like Cersei, Fiorina is attacking any woman that threatens her. Hillary seems to be her first target; hopefully she doesn’t end up on a walk of shame for the ages like the queen mother.

Marco Rubio: Tommen BaratheonRight now, Rubio is a front runner for the Republican Party, however, he's having difficulty moving from a second choice to a top contender. Like Tommen, he has the ability to rule, but hasn't really instilled confidence in the public that he needs. This campaign season might be a journey for Rubio, however, in the end he might actually surprise the American people and be a force for other candidates to fear.

Rand Paul: Jaime Lannister

Inheriting his popularity from his father Ron Paul, Rand Paul is a wild card for the Republican Party. Similar to Jaime Lannister with his good looks and enthusiasm, Paul gains support from a number of people of different backgrounds and ideas. I’m not sure yet if he actually stands a chance to gain the Republican nomination, or if he’s only running because his family name expects him to.

Ted Cruz: Ned StarkWith his tendency to criticize his own party, Cruz is his own worst enemy. He clearly has the money and experience to win an election, but, like Ned Stark, he has his own opinion on what should be law and what should not. His duty to his own beliefs and need to be true to himself will be his downfall in the upcoming election. In his battle for the Oval Office, he'll need to let go of his sense of duty, otherwise his chances of winning might be chopped.

Hillary Clinton: Danaerys Targaryen

Hillary comes from a family who’s been in power before. Just like Dany, she’s had to live through the scandal of a family member, and she has fought hard to establish her own reputation as a ruler. Not everyone believes she is the best person to take the throne, however, she fights for social issues and the improvement of the lives of minorities like the Khaleesi.

Lincoln Chafee: Samwell Tarley

Does he even really want to be president? Let's face it, him running for the chance to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a joke. It would be like Sawmill Tarley thinking he could sit on the Iron Throne- simply laughable. Sorry Chafee, continue keeping your father's senate seat warm.

Martin O’Malley: GendryO'Malley seems to be waiting for a huge blow-up in top Democratic campaigns, such as Clinton's or Sanders's. He's an upper-class candidate who supports lower class issues, which makes him hard to relate to for voters. Although he's a top contender, his chances for even the Democratic nomination are like Gendry's chances for the throne. He has to wait until a long line of other hopefuls to disappear from the campaign trail before he'll have any real shot.

Bernie Sanders: Petyr BaelishSimilar to Baelish, we're not sure what Sanders is doing in this game, other than to make it a little bit more difficult for every other candidate to gain the nomination. He seems to be representing far-left liberals, but he's also been far too quiet for any major office hopeful. Maybe we'll figure out what he's up to in this upcoming election season and if he truly is a force to be reckoned with, or just another pawn in the Game of Votes.