Gambino Debuts New Song, 'Me and Your Mama'

This is more than music. This is an era. “This is the end of us!”

167

It’s here. The rumors are true. Awaken, My Love!

Donald Glover does it again.

“Me and Your Mama,” the opening song on Childish Gambino’s upcoming album named Awaken, My Love!, was also the first song he playing during his Joshua Tree, California shows for the event, Pharos. This single was debuted on Apple Music’s Beat 1 Radio with Zane Lowe around 11am Central time, where “Me and Your Mama” was played six times. This set a new record for Beats 1, so now this track is their most played track. During the radio stream, Zane says, “I just needed this right now, Donald. Needed this record. It sounds like now. It sounds like this year. So deep. … This is more than music. This is a whole other movement for this guy.”

Although not entirely new ("Me and Your Mama" has been showcased at some festivals, including Bonnaroo 2015 and Australia’s Listen Out 2015 in Melbourne), it’s nice for Glover’s fans to have their hands on a studio version instead of the numerous videos on YouTube of raw footage.

The song starts off fairy-like, very peaceful, and light. Queue the bass and a beat along with a beautiful chorus of, “I’m in love when we are smokin’ that,” followed by Childish Gambino’s soothing “la la la la laaa.” Repeated a few times over, this beginning enchants your soul into what is to come. As the last la’s are sang, a beautiful arrangement of keys are introduced, which almost sound like a wind chime. The bass bumps harder as the intro continues. All of a sudden the wind chime cuts out, the beat stops, the bass halts, the keys are unheard. Out of nowhere, the song changes sound completely; a deep, dark laugh emerges as a very heavy, jazz guitar controls the vibe. Gambino screams, “do what you want! woo!” The rhythm section takes over and gives power to the guitarist as the lyrics, “Leeeeeet me iiiiiin to your heaaaaart!” are sang with ultimate passion. With a strained voice backed by a beautiful choral arrangement showing true intensity and emotion, one can understand how passionate this man is and what he is feeling and trying to portray. The screams continue into the second verse and bridge as Gambino chants, “girl you really got a hold on me, so this isn’t just puppy love.” Concluded with a powerful, soul-touching scream, the outro starts with another round of “i’m in love when we are smokin’ that, la la la la laaa.” Gambino serenades the listener with his vocal range as the song tones down and becomes a smooth jazz piece, featuring so many different elements of jazz instruments. The song almost becomes tribal (bringing me back to my state of spiritual awakening at Pharos with its tribal theme) with all the different sounds that close out the song. Getting softer and softer, the song ends just how it starts: very peaceful. Finally, it closes out abruptly.

“Me and Your Mama” is six minutes of pure bliss, containing three different genres. Never have soul, funky-blues, and jazz touched my heart in a way like this. Never has anything touched me like this. This song provides humbleness; it’s very grounding. This song makes one feel awake in many senses with its natural diversity. It’s soul-fueling and makes the listener crave more. The vibe it releases is so wholesome and awakening, spiritually. Physically, one can feel whole. Emotionally, one can relate. Mentally, one can feel woke. “Me and Your Mama” is mind-altering in the best sense. This song screams nothing but passion and I can’t wait to have more.

The album itself is now up for pre-order on iTunes, on Spotify for streaming, and on YouTube for listening. Awaken, My Love! is set to release December 2nd of this year.

Tracklist:

1. Me and Your Mama
  2. Have Some Love
  3. Boogieman
  4. Zombies
  5. Riot
  6. Redbone
  7. California
  8. Terrified
  9. Baby Boy
  10. The Night Me and Your Mama Met
  11. Stand Tall