I Found The Courage To Switch Schools, Even Though It Wasn't Easy

Deciding to transfer wasn't easy, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

132
Emily Nina

Almost eight months ago, I was unpacking my things into my very first dorm room and getting to know my roommate. I was getting used to the idea of spending the majority of the next four years of my life at Western Washington University, Bellingham. This went pretty well, until about Christmas time, when the sinking feeling slowly set in that I would not be able to stay in this town for much longer.

As a young designer who thrives off of late night inspiration and chaos, a big city is where I belong. I love Bellingham, but Seattle is more my speed. And as much as I would love to stay here and be comfortable, I can't shake the longing to be challenged as a designer, student, and citizen. So, I took a leap of faith and applied to Cornish College of the Arts, in Seattle, right next to Amazon HQ.

When I was applying for colleges, I was in the middle of one of the busiest times of my life. I had just started an internship, was the editor-in-chief of my yearbook staff, taking college classes through Running Start in addition to graduating high school, working part-time at a bakery, and desperately trying to fit in deciding where to go to college. Looking back, maybe I should've taken a gap year.

So, being incredibly stressed and barely having time to sleep, let alone write admissions essays, I only applied to one school: Western. And so I went, admitted early into the design major. And Western has been great. I've made incredible friends that I can't imagine saying goodbye to in a few weeks. But I know that I have to.

I hadn't even been accepted yet but was terrified at the thought of starting over again. Of having to make new friends, find my new favorite coffee shop, figure out yet another online university grading system. But the best things in life never come easy.

So, I pushed on and presented my portfolio to the design department chair. After receiving a partial scholarship, things were starting to feel real. When I had only just applied, it was easier to pretend nothing was happening and I would be coming back to Bellingham the next fall. While my best friends were signing leases for next year's housing, I was reading transfer requirements and wondering if I would be looking for a new roommate.

I knew eventually I would have to tell everyone I was leaving, but it was easier to just enjoy the time I had left and worry about all the messy stuff later. But that couldn't last forever. So finally, I broke the news. Not only were my friends not upset, they were happy for me (imagine that, friends actually wanting you to succeed and be happy...strange how we always assume the worst).

Though I will miss so many things about Western and the life I've just started to get used to here, Cornish will offer me endless internship opportunities, incredibly small class sizes, and one of the top 4% design educations in the country. And that's something I can't turn my back on. I know this is the right decision for me, but it sure didn't mean it was easy. I'm just thankful to have a wonderful group of friends and family to support me through this change.

So, if you're not completely happy with the school you're attending, and think there might be something better suited to your interests out there, take it from someone who's right in the middle of the switch:

It's better to look and know for sure than to always wonder if there's more out there for you.

Until I get there, see you soon, Seattle. I can't wait to be surrounded by your energy and experience true city life.

And to my friends, family, and mentors: thank you for encouraging me, challenging me, and never letting my restless heart settle.