An Open Letter To High School Seniors That Are Hopeful Florida Gators

Remember, you are so much more than your acceptance letter.

1230
Alexis Sobel

Dear Hopeful Gators,

I was in your shoes this time last year. As February 10 crept up on me, I became restless. The word "college" became a part of every conversation with friends, family, and teachers and quickly became my least favorite conversation. The only thing that consumed my thoughts was opening my admission decision from the University of Florida (UF).

What if I do not get in? What am I going to tell my friends and family if I don't? Where am I going to end up spending the next four years of my life? These questions filled my mind with anxiety and nerves leading up to February 10.

I remember February 10 like it was yesterday. I remember waking up with a pit in my stomach and thinking how I would pretend like it was just a normal day. I remember every text I received that day wishing me good luck or to reassure me that I would be okay regardless of the result. I remember the feeling in my stomach every time I refreshed the page to see if the admission decision was uploaded. And, most importantly, I remember hearing my mom scream when the words "Congratulations Alexis! Welcome to the Gator Nation!" popped up on my screen around 6 p.m.

Now, it is almost a year later, and I am embarking on my second semester here at UF. However, I cannot help but think about all of the high school seniors who are currently on the emotional rollercoaster of waiting for their dream school to come out. Although it sounds cliché, everything does happens for a reason. Everyone ends up loving their college experience and ends up where they are supposed to be, even if it takes a little time to adjust.

No matter what school you end up at, you will have the biggest smile on your face the second you walk onto that campus for the first time after being admitted. You will love wearing your school's logo and will feel proud to rep your university's colors. You will find your people and have an amazing college experience no matter where you end up. Maybe it is easy for me to say this now, as things worked out in my favor, but looking back I wish I channeled my fear of the unknown into excitement for the future.

Right now, hopeful gators, you are in the home stretch. The countdown to UF decision day is quickly approaching, and I can confidently say that you must be feeling anxious and overwhelmed. Thoughts about the next chapter of your life are all-consuming and extremely overwhelming. Although you probably will not listen (as I would not have either), I can assure you with confidence that everything will work out for the best.

Good luck, and I hope to see you all in the Swamp next year!

Go Gators,

The Once Extremely Nervous High School Senior, Alexis Sobel