5 Fun Things To Do This Summer
Summer

5 Things To Do This Summer Instead Of Scrolling Through Twitter Over And Over And Over

Ideas to kick a bad habit that most of us don't even realize.

70
Jenna Walter

This summer might hold different things for a lot of us: internships, studying abroad, or maybe working at an establishment back home. But all of us have a little too much free time sometimes, and we tend to waste it by scrolling through Twitter into the wee hours of night instead of being productive. This habit can lead to sleeping in and missing important deadlines, meetings, or plans. I am especially guilty of this habit, and have carved out some time to think about useful things I can do that will benefit myself and those around me.

1. Go on a fun, spontaneous adventure with your friend(s)

This could look like going on hikes, boating, or even just going on a walk. Spending time with people you miss will help you avoid wasting time, and it will benefit the people you care about.

2. Craft day

Go to your local craft store, whether it's Jo-Ann Fabric, Michael's, or a small business, and purchase whatever it is you want to create. Filling up your free time with creativity is good for the soul and will leave you feeling proud of yourself.

3. Read a book

There is one thing you can do for yourself that is not only fun but will educate you: reading books. Summer is the perfect time for this, as you aren't being held up by deadlines or schoolwork. Most of us have a stack of books that have been waiting to be read, and now is the time to start.

4. Keep a daily journal

This could look different for everyone, but writing every day helps you process your thoughts and the way you look at the world better than anything. You could write anything from five things you're grateful for to a fitness plan. It all depends on what you are looking for in this particular season, but having a creative outlet such as this one will help you in all areas of your life.

5. Declutter and donate, then thrift some new pieces

There are probably tons of clothes you either 1. haven't worn since the eighth grade, or 2. don't fit your current style. Getting rid of clothes and reorganizing your closet is such an enriching activity. After you are all done, then you can treat yourself by going on a thrift find trip to get yourself some new pieces that are relevant to your wardrobe and style.

There's a lot you can do this summer, but none of it can be accomplished if you spend the whole break buried in your phone.