10 Habits To Adopt, For A Fun, Yet Productive Summer

As much as you want to get that 12-hour sleep you've been talking about for weeks, allowing yourself to sleep for so long is a hard habit to break.

65

Despite the fact that classes are ending for college and it seems like you have all the time in the world to do fun things over the summer and you can start being productive anytime you want, soon you'll come to the realization that summer goes by much too quickly and if you want it to go as smooth as possible, you can't wait so long to get it going. Adopting these 10 habits ASAP will help you transition into the summer in a great way.

1. Don't sleep in

As much as you want to let your REM cycle linger for hours on end and get that 12-hour sleep you've been talking about for weeks, allowing yourself to sleep for so long is a bad habit to break. Once you get used to it, changing it back will be hell, especially when you start staying up even later and pushing your wake-up time from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. It's not bad to allow yourself to get nine or ten hours of sleep for a few days after school ends but you'll end up sleeping the summer away if you get too comfortable in bad sleeping habits. But remember, you can always nap during the day if you need to.

2. Start working

Whether you're working on getting things together for the next year or actually working at a job, getting started on that job as soon as you can, will benefit you in the long run. Many summer jobs start early so if you wait to long to apply or start, they may find someone better-suited to the position. And if you're worried about taking time off, talking with your boss sooner is better than later. If you're trying to get stuff all figured out for the next year, you don't want to be getting it all together the week before school starts again. Try to finish it as soon as you can so you have more time to relax.

3. Work out

It's easy to forget that exercise is important during the school year when all your classes are taking up all your free time and you convince yourself that walking to class is enough exercise. But as soon as possible after school ends, figure out how you're going to work out over the summer. It's not about getting into the best shape of your life or going hardcore every day; it's about getting you moving when you could easily lounge around the house all day.

4. Don't binge-eat

Another thing that's easy to do is to get home and start eating everything you didn't have access to at school. I am definitely a culprit of thinking that there will be no repercussions to eating five meals a day along with plenty of snacks in between when I realize that all favorite home-cooked or store-bought meals are within reaching distance again. But eating like that for just a day may make you feel like you should do it every day, which probably should be avoided.

5. Make time for yourself

Try to find chances to relax, whether that means meditating, praying, taking a bath, or even tanning. Doing something that gets you to relax, right after stressing through finishing exams and turning in papers, is a habit that you should try to incorporate now and continue when school starts.

6. Do things you like to do

During the school year, it's easy to get wrapped up in just focusing on academics or thinking you have no time to enjoy yourself. I often forget just how much I love to read and neglect any books I have around. Recalling what I love to do right away helps me keep it in mind for the rest of the summer and it's easy to remember what you love to do when you start your summer doing it.

7. Go outside

As much as I loathe the heat, despite the fact that I live in Las Vegas, when it finally got warm in New Jersey, I felt so much happier and at ease with life. Going outside as often as possible and as soon as you get home will hopefully keep you in a relaxed state throughout the summer and expose you to some Vitamin D.

8. Make plans with your friends

I definitely become very reclusive during the summer, not always remembering that I have friends around who would love to hang out with me. Hanging out with them in-person by going to the movies or getting lunch together or planning time to call or text with them right off the bat will help you maintain close connections with your friends through the summer and into your next semester. And immediately contacting your friends from other schools will also help you see them more often.

9. Spend time with your family

Since you're in school for eight to nine months of the year, whether you live close to home or across the country, you likely haven't seen much of your family. And even if you haven't felt like you were very missed, your family is probably happy to have you back in their lives and you should try to seek them out for bonding time.

10. Set some goals

For the summer, try to be productive with your time. Sitting around all day doing nothing sounds like a dream when you've spent so much time in class but achieving something feels good when you've gotten it done. Whether you have goals to go to more concerts or simply to be more friendly, accomplishing your goals by the end of the summer will feel great.