How Disabilities And Activism Interact

How Disabilities And Activism Interact

We need to be more thoughtful in our activism, to say the least.

23
How Disabilities And Activism Interact
Beau Maysey, photographer

We are living in strange times, indeed.

In a weeks time, we've gone from Women's Marches in the streets against the backdrop of the Presidential Inauguration, to nationwide rallies in major airports in resistance against an executive order banning immigrants, essentially Muslims, from seven Middle Eastern countries. Those are the big things.

Then there are smaller things, like the White House's statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day foregoing any mention of the millions of Jewish citizens imprisoned, tortured, and killed during that era. The original message described instead "the innocent", and White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks later implied that such general wording was to incorporate other groups that were killed in the Holocaust, including those with physical and mental disabilities. Although previous presidents issued their days' statements with some recognition of Judaism or anti-Semitism, Hope Hicks explained that the administration wanted to be "an incredibly inclusive group" when they "took into account all of those who suffered".

Seeing this made me have to step back. Was Trump's team really going to try to erase Jews from their statement and cover it up that they were offering solace to gypsies, communists, Poles, resistance fighters, and others? I come from a Jewish family, and I have been diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. And I know that it's not that hard to mention them and other groups in your official White House press statement. Having an intersectional platform isn't something you deserve to tote out when your staff and actions clearly oppose women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, non-Christians (especially Muslims, but also Jews), immigrants, and yes, disabled people.

Trump, yes, you did mock that reporter, Serge Kovaleski, in 2015. Whether you meant to mock his disability, arthrogryposis, is apparently another question that fuels much more debate, but in my mind the answer leans towards 'yes'. And I find it telling that after you'd been criticized by news articles about the incident, you defended yourself and your actions viciously rather than give any kind of apology, or acknowledge that your comments were in poor taste.

Worse, one of your biggest priorities is repealing the Affordable Care Act, which allows those with physical and mental disabilities to have affordable and safe healthcare and therapy. The act also keeps those with disabilities from being discriminated against in the workforce, a leg up on the Americans with Disabilities Act from the '90s that allowed a lot of wiggle room for employers. I personally do not take medication, but there are so many others out there that do, or who depend on Medicare for help with depression, anxiety, or other handicaps. I have close friends who have broken down crying in the last month worrying that they or a family member will lose their 'pre-existing condition' coverage. This without any sensible replacement plan actually announced or conceived, leaving millions of Americans, including those with disabilities, in the lurch.

I had planned a great article, something that diagnosed why I felt there were so few activists with disabilities out there representing us, or even allies to our cause. I was going to make a full list of reasons why: Disabilities are pointed at as 'crises', or 'crippling', rather than alternative paths in life; a larger amount of white men seem to suffer from mental disabilities, and are afraid of getting in the way of other civil rights; people online constantly harass and bully, so that "autistic screaming" and "retard" are common linguistic tools; lastly, a lot of us are nervous, shy, and unable to handle large crowds and noise.

But that undermines the complete triumph of those activists that do go out there and protest, perhaps for those with disabilities, perhaps for other causes of late. Just because I haven't seen a more organized concentration of disability marchers around me doesn't mean they don't exist, and that they aren't out there in the world. Trying to create essentially asking, "Why don't those with disabilities stand up for their rights?' is assuming they are helpless victims of their minds or bodies, which is untrue and unfair. It is valid that these groups are bullied, are seen as having diseases rather than difficulties, and do need support. But support comes from listening to what they have to say. Here's what I have to say:

Don't be afraid to talk with someone who has a disability. Don't make assumptions and don't treat them differently unless they or a trusted caretaker asks you to.

Don't glorify nor tragedize disabilities. They aren't the end of a person's life, nor are they going to make them a 'genius'. There are various types of handicaps, physical and mental, and they produce different effects on the individual. Also, don't assume all those with the same time of disability act the same. They are people.

Look up specific organizations that help those with disabilities and see how you can help a local chapter. Be cautious that the group you're looking up offers actual advice, programs, and services to those with physical and mental disabilities, and that they treat the handicaps as challenges, but not insurmountable obstacles and sicknesses to be cured. I'm looking at you, Autism Speaks. If you are unsure, ask those within the specific community of disabled.

Don't pressure someone you know with a disability to out themselves at a rally or march in order to stand up for their rights and the rights of others. That isn't the point of this rally, nor is it to divide or stir controversy for those within the disabled community. All I'm saying is that we're living in strange times, indeed. And if we want to make things feel a little less strange and a little more familiar, we have to break away from our regular patterns, even in protests. So, raise a sign or flag for those with disabilities, as well as one for the other vulnerable groups and communities out there. Be kind to each other. Call your Senators, show up at their offices, and Resist hate.

Most of all, just try not to erase anyone from the struggle: Those of color, women, LGBTQ members, Muslims, immigrants, Jewish citizens, environmentalists, and so many others. We can have it both ways where we push forward with as many of us together as possible. I might have Asperger's, but I'm not dumb-– standing in solidarity with others is how we make progress.