Frosh Week Is Really Not That Great

Frosh Week Is Really Not That Great

Despite what they tell you, I really don't think much of frosh week at all.
21

Frosh week is supposed to be the most exciting week of college. The best week, wildest week -- whatever superlative you can think of, I've probably heard it attributed to Frosh Week. But if I'm honest, frosh week was pretty mediocre.

Aside from the OA/CA orientation trips (which were a lot of fun), the actual partying, rallying and late nights on the Street that define Frosh Week weren't what they were made out to be. For me, frosh consisted mainly of being bombarded with information on how not to plagiarize, get alcohol poisoning, and set my dorm on fire. These left me so drained of energy I enjoyed my evenings quietly on my laptop before going to bed. The nights I did go out to pregame at upperclassmen's dorms and party at eating clubs were largely spent repeating "Hi I'm Lucy, nice to meet you! What's your name?" over and over and not having a huge ton of fun.

My relatively unimpressive frosh experience can mainly be blamed on two factors: the fact that I don't drink and that I'm not very sociable of a person. But even if you are a great party drinker and an extrovert through and through, Frosh Week still may not be the most exciting or best or wildest week of college for you.

That's because frosh week is just an introduction to college -- an explosive start to four years of a new group of friends, a new home, and a new you. But the one week of frosh is a tiny fraction of the four years of college. The true excitement comes from the long term process of developing deeper connections with friends and learning a whole lot from some really impressive professors. My college experience is always evolving. Every week, I discover something new about the campus or myself that takes me by surprise and makes me fall in love with this school all over again.

For sure, I made a bunch of new friends and got a fair share of my outfits drenched in spilt beer. But at the end of every week, I look back on the people I've met, the problem sets I did, and the professors I got to each lunch with, and I think "this week has been the best week of college so far." Frosh Week doesn't even come close.