From A Tiny Island In Africa (Cabo Verde) To The world

Here's to being adventurous and always following your heart. Here's to being an international student: a citzen of the world

8
Abadi Alzhrani

There are perks of being international and there are struggles.They always say the world is an open door, an open door that has marvelous secrets, secrets that not even the great of the greatest adventurers could reveal it. For us students we try as much as possible to have that glimpse of adventure by studying abroad. But as fun as it sounds, it’s never that easy to be in another side of the world, the cultural differences, being on your own, the language barrier and even missing your family will be constant problems you will have to face on your own, but how to survive this sudden change? Will these problems ruin your time while overseas? To answer that last question, it won’t ruin your experience, for the contrary it will make it even better, as long as you know how to deal with the issue that comes along. In the end the experiences will be worth all the struggles.

One of the first issues that every international student, including myself, faces is the linguistic barrier. If the language of the country you are going to isn’t your native language, it doesn’t matter how good you might be in that language there is always something you might be misunderstood at or even be able to understand. Especially because you might know the standardized version of the language but the same might differ from region to region. Taking an example the Brazilian Portuguese, in the north cookies are called “Biscoito” while in the south it is called “Bolacha." It’s the same with England and United States, even though both speak English there is a lot of differences. Even in United States itself, the North and South does have its differences. But what is the best way to overcome this barrier? Read and read a lot, pay more attention while other people are speaking, try to understand them, watch a lot of movies, listen to local music and the most important: ask. If you have any doubt or you didn’t understand something, always ask someone that might explain it to you. Just don’t get mad when they pronounce your name wrong, and teach them how to say it, if it doesn’t work and they still pronounce your name wrong just get over it.

Another thing that has a lot of complaints among the international students is the food. Different cultures, different food, and even if there might be something from your country in the place you are visiting the taste will never be the same. Simple things like rice and beans won’t be the exactly same replica. I remember my first days here at Maryville College, I spent days eating just sandwiches and salads because everything else made me sick (and I even had to go to the hospital because of my allergic reactions), but gradually I started growing out of it and tasted bit by bit till I got used to it, at least most of it. A good way to overcome this food difference would be to start eating things you are already familiar with and then adding up other types of food that you might not be used to eat. In the end it will pay of, and you will eventually get used to the food and even miss it when you go back home. Just one tip, do not eat things you are allergic to, for the sake of your medical bills, and always ask if the food contains anything you are allergic to, your parents will thank you later for not getting sick or spending that much money.

Perhaps, one of the biggest struggles faced by the international students, if not the biggest, would be missing the family and friends. New country, new faces and you wanted to be where you are because you are living a dream, but there is always a moment that you might sit and ask why you are in that country and not home, every time you talk with your grandparents instead of feeling happy you burst in tears or every time you miss a special moment back home is like you are slowly not being part of everything that happens with your family. But these feelings can be minimized, starting by meeting new friends, they will prevent your mind from thinking “if I was at home” and they will be your tourist guide showing you around, getting involved on campus, signing up for clubs, meeting new places and even more people all of that will be essential for you, not just to feel less homesick but also to take advantage of this new experience. Another way to feel less homesick would be sharing your culture with others while learning theirs, like making different types of cuisine for your friends, try to look for resemblance between the two cultures, or even dance nights where you teach them how to dance a traditional song from your country. And try to see this as an experience of a lifetime that your family is proud of you (which they are) because you are following your dreams, and always have in mind that you will see them again.

Being an international student does have its ups and downs. You will have to get used to a whole new world and possibly a whole new language, a new culture with different types of food, but you will make great friends, visit new places and create great memories that will last your entire life. In the end, the struggle of being in a different country will pay off and you will have awesome stories to tell your family when you go back home, and everything will be different, it’s like the author Mary Anne Radmacher said ”I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world”, Your life will never be the same. Yes, it will be hard; yes, you will miss your home country; and yes, everything will be different from what you are used too, but that’s the perks of being an international, you’ll experience an entire new world, you will be allowed to start sentences with "In my home country” or “When I was abroad," you will have stories that will last forever and even write a book from those stories. In the end you will say “I’ve lived to the extreme, and I would do all over again” (with the allergies and all).

- the girl from the unknown paradise