10 signs you are from the Midwest

10 signs you are from the Midwest

You know you are from the Midwest when...

687
10 signs you are from the Midwest
Neogaf

The Midwest is located in the northern central area of the United States of America. The states that occupy this territory are Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. The Midwest is best known for our long plains for crops and corn. If you grew up here, these are just some of the signs you know you are from the region of the Midwest.

1. Unpredictable Weather

In the morning you could be freezing and wearing a sweater, and by the afternoon you are burning up and need to wear a tee shirt and shorts. Also, currently in November the weather is 77 degrees in Illinois. Where is my fall sweater-weather?

2. Snow days in the Midwest are rare

My schools have only cancelled when the snow plows aren't able to plow the main roads. The snow plows would always be running throughout the night, and this meant I had to go to school no matter what; Even if it was freezing outside.

3. Tornado Drills Constantly

Every first Tuesday of the month, the tornado alarms are tested to make sure they work in an emergency. At least twice a year, we would have a tornado drill and get into our positions facing the wall with our heads down.

4. Puppy Chow

Not only is Puppy chow so yummy to eat, but it takes less than 10 minutes to make! It is composed of rice cereal squares, peanut butter, chocolate chips and sugar.

5. State Fairs

I have attended the Illinois State fair for the past few years, and it's a big deal. From the carnival rides, demolition derby, and food, these are some of the best memories made in the summer.

6. Ranch Dressing

Ranch dressing is essential to anything to use as your dipping. Pizza, chicken tenders, salad, and french fries are just some of the things you can add ranch to!

7. Corn holes or Bags

This is a fun family-friendly game to play at birthdays, barbecues, or any family function. The object of the game is to toss the bags onto the board, or land the bags into the hole.

8. Cornfields

Drive anywhere around the Midwest, and you will run into a cornfield. There isn't much to see but just endless rows of corn.

9. Tractors on the highway

This is a normal site to see on the road alongside the cornfields. The only problem is, tractors can cause traffic jams on a one-way street.

10. Mall of America

The Mall of America is located in Bloomington, Minnesota and is one of the largest malls in the country. Inside it has Nickelodeon Universe, Sea World, a movie theater, and much more!

I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else. I am so blessed and happy to say that I am from the Midwest while living in Illinois. Yes, the weather isn't always the best and there is lots of construction, but this is my home. I would recommend to anyone starting a family or a new life to live here. Nothing else compares to living here in the good old Midwest.