From The Girl Who Grew Up In A Village

From The Girl Who Grew Up In A Village

What's good about living in a small village? Friendly people, home cooking, and more than you could imagine.

70
From The Girl Who Grew Up In A Village

One never truly realizes what they have until what they had is gone. Up until I started college and resided on campus I grew up in the country by what is known as a village that not many people have heard of. Why would they? We're not on the news much and there's not much to do. When watching or listening to the weather it's normally the city above us that appears. Besides, most people from my village travel to the city for a night out if they want to get something specific to eat or if they're in the mood for a movie. The city is where everything is... well not everything.

I grew up around Shreve, Ohio. It's not big, but we're not known for being a large town. We're known for our friendliness. What's good about living in a small village? Everybody knows everyone! I was away at college and when I came back and went to the IGA store the cashier still knew who I was and started a conversation with me. She asked me how college was, my trip to Europe if I still had my current job, and just being friendly. If I go to the city and go to Walmart the conversation I normally get is "It's nice out, huh?" or "You're total is..."

And you don't have to grow up in the village to be treated with respect. We get outsiders from time to time and they get treated with the same respect someone would get if they were a native. It's not just at the few stores we have either. My mom goes to the Shreve library any chance she gets and the ladies who work there help her search series that she likes and writes them down for her and instantly reserves the next book without her having to say a single word. They ask her how she is and just have pleasant conversations.

As for restaurants, who needs fancy places to eat such as Apple Bees or Red Lobster when you have something better such as Das Dutch Essenhaus. It's an Amish restaurant full of delicious home cooked meals and friendly staff. They also sell some lovely blankets, rugs, geese clothing if you're into that, and a few other handmade trinkets. But if you have a sweet tooth then you need to go to Shreve Dari-Bar for a hot fudge sundae or a root beer float. They also serve food items such as fried mushrooms, hotdogs, and pizza burgers (if you haven't had one yet you need to try one).

Hungry for pizza? Sure, we have an East of Chicago by the railroad tracks, but right behind them is where it's at. This family owned pizza parlor goes by the name of... well the Pizza Parlor. This is owned by Bubba (I heard someone call the guy that. It's one of his nicknames apparently). Their pizza is one of the best I've had and they're fast and ready when you are. Don't want takeout? Eat it in their lovely dining room!

As for nothing to do? For a village that does nothing, we seem to do a lot. The Saturday before Easter Shreve Elementary holds an Easter egg hunt on the playground. We have a small festival in town for Independence Day as well as our own firework show that last night of the festival. Every spring we host the Migration Sensation by the marsh as we explore the swamps and wildlife. About once a month in the spring and summer there is a BBQ by Shreve Mobil.

Then there are hair salons, banks, parks, gas stations... basically all the necessities. We even have a school which is part of the Triway School District which we're known for our academics. So sure, Shreve is small but we're close. Everyone knows everyone. If you want to have a good time on a Friday night why not rent a movie from the library and then get a pizza to take home. Take a walk through the park with friends with ice cream at hand. It may have taken me awhile to realize how truly wonderful the village of Shreve actually is, but I know I will never take it for granted again.