From The Girl Who Goes To College But Isn’t A ‘College Girl’

Going to college doesn't mean I need to become a partier, join a sorority and devalue my education

259
Domain Name

Being a college student, there are many expectations people hold. Specifically, as a girl in college, I’ve noticed that I’m expected to fit the mold of what society thinks a “college girl” should be like.

As “college girls,” we’re expected to be in a sorority, go to lots of parties, have tons of friends, and have guys chasing us around campus. To the girls who don’t fit this mold, you understand how annoying it is to have people constantly make assumptions about us that are just not true.

All of the accepted typecasts of “college girls” make it out to seem like girls are only in college for that Mrs. Degree or in it for the “experience” because everybody else does it and well, why not? *eye roll* It exasperates me when people think I am spending all of my time playing beer pong and partying.

Well newsflash, I’m in college because I want a job, so I take my education seriously. My parents pay for me to be in college and yeah, you’ll find me most often in the library studying because I’m not wasting time or money. Therefore, you will always find me in class when I’m supposed to be because I don’t plan on failing classes and allowing my time in college to extend any longer than the four years it should take for me to graduate.

I’m not in a sorority because I just don’t want to be and THAT IS PERFECTLY OKAY! That doesn’t make me weird or antisocial. Just because you won’t find me walking around in a group of twenty girls doesn’t mean I don’t have friends. I’m perfectly happy with a few of my closest gal pals by my side.

There are plenty of us who don’t fit the mold but are still in college, doing our own things and creating our own great memories. We'll look back on memories from our good old college days as freedom, hard work, great professors, classes, life-long friends, late nights, and the constant reassurance that all the effort is worth it.

So far, college has been one of the happiest chapters in my life but I’m not a “college girl” because I realize the years spent in college compared to the rest of my life are small. What we choose to study and who we choose to become in college, however, have a significant factor in the future we create so yeah, embrace college but also embrace it if you are just a girl in college who is striving to reach her goals.