From The Girl In An Interracial Relationship

Why do our different skin colors matter?
30

Recently, I started a serious relationship with an amazing black man, and as a white woman, it's had it's fair share of mixed reactions. Some people are grossly over-the-top in their happiness for us, almost seeming as if the fact that we're a mixed couple makes us a relationship that is defying all odds and that's something to praise. Others have appeared to have a negative reaction, seeming to sneer at the fact that we're of different races. But here's the thing: the fact that he was black never really crossed my mind, nor did I think it was a salient part of our relationship. I mean, in all serious, the fact that we have different races means very little to our relationship. Things that actually matter should be how we treat one another, whether or not our personalities are compatible and how we care for one another.

I mean, in all serious, the fact that we have different races means very little to our relationship. Things that actually matter should be how we treat one another, whether or not our personalities are compatible and how we care for one another.

The fact that we're different races, in my opinion, only enriches the relationship, for we have had vastly different life experiences. Those differences make conversation more interesting and brings learning and respect for one another to the relationship.

Basically, to simplify, I wish every time we told someone we were dating, their reaction would be the same as if I were dating someone of the same race. I wish that strangers would stop feeling the need to always comment upon us. Lastly, I really wish that people would stop talking about how beautiful our mixed babies will be. After all, what matters to the relationship isn't our race, or what our children would look like if we so chose to reproduce. We care for one another; that's what matters.