From The Conservative White College Girl

We are becoming the minority, but we need to speak up.

562

The conservative, young, college girl. Yes. We exist. And no... we are not spoiled girls just telling you what "daddy told me to say." We are telling you what we have researched and what we have decided is the way things should be. We know our facts and we stand for what we believe in.

It's no secret. College is very liberal.

From professors to students, most of the time everyone is leaning left. Obviously, there are exceptions. There are campuses that are probably majority conservative… and every day I wonder what that kind of life is like. But the common idea behind the younger generation being liberal holds true on most college campuses, even mine. As hard as you may find it to believe, a state school in the middle of the southern mountains is straight up liberal. Like, very liberal.

Yes, we obviously do have our southern born and bred Republicans. You won’t go five miles in this town without seeing a conservative flag flying from the back of a pick-up truck that’s blasting country music. But, if you go into a classroom as a Republican, you will find yourself clearly outnumbered. Students and professors share in common ideologies in college and in the classes I have been in, they are majority Democrat views.

Before I say anything else, I completely respect all Democrats and liberals. I really do.

We have different ideas and beliefs, but that’s okay. We all have one priority and that is our country. We all want what is best for our beautiful nation. We just have different ideas as to what those things are. I will say, though, that I lose a little respect when I am called names or my ideas aren’t respected in a classroom.

I am a Political Science major. Every day of my life is about politics. I learn about how our government works and how different people view our democratic system. I get in fights with people defending my conservative beliefs. I stand up for the rights of unborn children and for those who work hard to make this country great. I get yelled at for supporting a man whose main priority is America and putting everyone (even the people bashing him) first. I lose points in class for not agreeing with a professor. I get in arguments with other students over immigration… over the economy… over travel bans…over just about anything political.

Sounds fun, right? Well, it is.

I thrive in a debate setting. Any chance I get to say something, I do it. I want people to know where I stand. And conservatives need a voice in these liberal majority classrooms. People don’t want to speak up because they don’t want to create conflict with their friends or teachers. I completely disagree. I think it is healthy to get a little heated sometimes. I think it is beneficial to make the other side’s ideas known in a classroom that only views one side and one side only.

I am not going to allow a classroom led by a leftist professor tell me that our president is comparable to Hitler (yes, this happened to me). I am not going to let someone tell me it is okay to kill an unborn child. I am not going to let someone tell me that we should be bringing in thousands on thousands of undocumented, illegal people to take the jobs that my fellow students and I are studying and working so hard for. I am not going to let people judge or degrade me because of my beliefs.

Conservatives need to speak up more. Especially conservative young women.

We are such a minority nowadays and some are too scared to stand up for what we know is right. So many people are hesitant to say anything because they don’t want to go against the majority, or they do not want to “trigger” anyone. But that shouldn’t matter, someone needs to stand up for our side. If you can express your liberal beliefs, then I can express my conservative beliefs. I can’t tell you how many times I have had students come up to me after a class where I spoke out and told me “You’re awesome. Thank you for standing up for us.” It’s an amazing feeling.

So, to all my fellow conservative college girls... let's keep standing up for ourselves. Let's keep standing up for our beliefs, rights, and freedoms. And those of everyone around us. We are the change the world needs and we're going to make a difference where it counts and when it matters.