From A Girl Who Changed Her Major

From A Girl Who Changed Her Major

Changing your major can be just as exhilarating as it is scary.

49
From A Girl Who Changed Her Major
Visual Thinkery

College is the first time in your life where your decisions are so impactful, they can dramatically alter your adult future. Being indecisive and also very harsh on myself, these choices have proven to be very difficult and bring lots of stressors.

You may think you know exactly what you want to do with your life, but does anyone really? As I sat in my first accounting class I faced the very real and scary realization that my five-year plan was dissipating pretty quickly. It wasn't anything like I thought it would be and left me wanting much, much more. My goal for around a year was centered solely towards my college graduation. I figured that I would try to get good grades, finish my classes and the rest would come to me over time. I was so naive that I didn't even think about what would happen after school. I had a goal; I had a plan; I had a means to carry it out. The only thing I lacked was a passion.

If your major seems this methodical to you, it might be time to broaden your horizons and look deeper into what the career you're pursuing really entails. I think a lot of times, we are driven by those around us. Being around my mom growing up, a successful HR consultant, made me subconsciously focus on business jobs in corporate environments and for a long time, this is exactly what I associated to being a career. Although I never had any pressure, it was what I assumed I should target for. In actuality, though, there are so many things out there that will tailor to your own unique skills and be more fulfilling along the way.

How did I know that this new path was for me? The second I completed my major change application I was so nervous, anxious even. It might seem like this would be a bad thing, but for the first time in my college career, I was actually thinking about the years after college, wondering if I'd be good enough, and hoping that I could successfully pursue the complex art of teaching. I knew the immediate and intense feeling of importance and pressure I felt would give me a new outlook on the classes I am to take along the way. Classes that will hopefully allow me to grow as an individual and as a teacher.

Being nervous about life after college is a good thing. It reminds you of what a difference you can make. If you are to pick the right major -- which you will eventually -- I hope that it's something that challenges you in new ways and really makes you feel like you can achieve a fulfilling life in the wake of hard work. Being a little scared comes with being passionate about something, and these feelings good and bad can prove you're exactly where you're supposed to be.