To My High School Best Friends Who Are More Like Family

I'm so proud of you and I couldn't be more thankful for our friendship.

270
Author's Photo

People say there's nothing worse than getting your heart broken, but honestly, being without your best friends might be worse.

Leaving home for college and saying goodbye is one of the hardest things a person has to do, but how do you say goodbye to the people who have been with you through anything and everything.

As we're getting into the holiday season, I've been feeling sentimental and reflecting on not only all the opportunities I've had, but the amazing people I'm lucky to call family and friends.

So, to my best friends from high school:

With every heartbreak, through senseless drama, the tears, the fights, the smiles and the laughs; you are my people. Whether we've been friends since elementary school or starting freshman year, going through high school together creates a bond like no other. From being banished to the back of the student section as a freshman to our senior prom, we could always count on each other.

Leaving for school was tough. Learning how to be yourself in a new environment is hard to do when you can't be with the people who know you better than you know yourself. All the time, little things remind me of inside jokes and memories that only we would understand. At least ten times a day I start to tell a story or make a reference and then realize that no one here gets it.

Don't get me wrong, I've found friends here and I'm thankful for the relationships I have, but you guys are still my best friends. No matter the distance, no matter how many days we might go without talking, you guys will always be the first people that come to mind when I think of true friendship.

Whether it's ranting about a class, complaining about homesickness, or talking about a boy, every time something happens, you are still the first people I want to talk to about it.

Nothing's worse than watching you go through hard times and not being able to give you a hug, have a movie night and cry over dumb romantic comedies.

FaceTime and group chats are just not the same as having a girls night. I never understood how important a Snapchat streak can become until it became a primary way to stay in touch with everyone back home.

So don't ever feel like you're annoying me or being clingy because I can guarantee that I am missing you and am always down to FaceTime or talk on the phone.

I miss you guys more than anything but it makes me so incredibly happy to see you all doing amazing things. I am so proud of how we have each gone our separate ways but still have the bond we've had for the past four years.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I miss you guys, I love you guys, I'm so proud of you and I couldn't be more thankful for our friendship.