Different Friendships that Every College Girl Needs

8 Kinds Of Friends Every College Girl Needs To Have In Her Life

"Empowered women empower women." Being a friend to someone goes beyond that.

842

In college, we experience a wide variety of obstacles and opportunities. Because of this, many times the reason we get through both the good times (and the bad) is because of the people that surround us.

I hate to "categorize" the types of friendships that I experienced freshman year because don't get me wrong, I am thankful for them all. However, different people got me through different situations. The reason I think that every person needs these different types of friendships is that we encounter so many different scenarios — which would be way too overwhelming for just one friend.

I have heard this saying many times and recently have found it to be extremely true:

God made us best friends because he knew no mother could handle us as sisters.

I owe my happiness and success to my girls of freshman year: the girls down the hall, my roommate, my sorority sisters, the girls from my hometown, the girls in my classes, and everyone in between. If you're reading this — thank you for being a friend and for the best year of my life.

Here are just a few of the friendships that I obtained from freshman year:

1. The friends down the hall

Whether you need someone to complain to about the loud boys a floor above playing soccer (or wrestling??? or only God knows what) at 3 a.m., or just someone to come over and watch movies, these are some of the best friendships you'll make. From borrowing clothes to salt shakers, these girls will have your back no matter what. Plus, you can even make jokes about your RA to them.

2. The roommate who easily became a best friend

This girl sees the best and worst sides of you. After living in the same room for nine months, it seems unreal to go nights without her just ten-feet away. A roommate is a person you can rant to and in return, she'll eat your whole bag of chips (but, that's fine because you've been borrowing — and losing — her bobby pins since the first day of college). I truly got lucky with my roommate this year. I can honestly say we did not get into one single fight. We had enough in common that we could relate to each other, but we were also enough different that we had our own groups of friends, our own extracurriculars and hobbies, and our own schedules; therefore, we didn't feel like we had to compete.

3. The friends in your classes

Who else is going to sit with you all hours of the night to learn a whole semester's worth of information? Who else will send the answers to the iClicker? Who else would you help with a homework question in return for help with another? These people not only know the struggle but also suffer with you. These are good friendships to have because it personifies the courses that you are taking. It makes you realize that we are indeed human, and all you can do is the best you can do. This is an uplifting friendship that allows you to become the best you can be.

4. The friends you pass by frequently and smile to

In college, if you're lucky, you meet someone new just about every day. Unfortunately, I am terrible with names. I am ashamed to admit that there were many people freshman year that I met but only knew their face while their name escaped me. However, these were people who I still saw frequently and they always had a welcoming smile on their face. I considered this a blessing because even on the bad days, I would see them — smiling and waving. I think that God puts these kinds of people in our life as a reminder that everything is not as bad as it seems. Sometimes, you just need a friendly reminder that everything will be okay.

5. The "down for whatever" friends

These friends are the epitome of fun. No matter when and no matter where they will be dressed and ready to go. They can be the best (or worst) influences, but sometimes you need that. They can talk you into taking a much-needed break when you're down and stressed about school, and they'll make sure that you have the time of your life. They are spontaneous and contagious, for which I am thankful.

6. The friends in your sorority

When you need someone to walk with to the weekly meeting, they're your girls. These girls understand your heart for your philanthropy, your willingness to get involved on campus, the responsibilities you obtain, and so much more. This is because they, too, share the qualities of your chapter. Having your sorority sisters on your side is like having an automatic cheerleading squad. Your sisters will be your shoulder to cry on and the ones you laugh the hardest with. In addition, the best memories are made with them.

7. The friends from your hometown

No one understands what it was like to grow up in your hometown except for the ones that did it with you. How else are you going to keep up with the small town gossip? Who else are you going to hang out with during breaks? Distance makes the heart grow fonder and this is seen in friendships where everyone goes somewhere different for college. The best part is: when you get home, it is as if you never missed a beat, and trust me, you'll be up for hours catching up on stories and laughter.

8. The very best friends

The people that fit into more than one of these categories are the people who are easily considered your best friends. These are the people you spend the most time with (and even begin to miss when you haven't been around them in a few hours). These are the people you envision being a part of your wedding and having big family-friend reunions with. These are the people you annoy the heck out of, complain to, would do anything or go anywhere for, and most of all -- love with your entire heart.

Thank you to all my friends that made my first year of college unforgettable. Here's to three more years!