How Friendships Change After High School

Not every friendship is meant to be lifelong.

43
Camille VanBuskirk

Last year, as my high school career was coming to an end I couldn't help but wish I could restart the school year. Yeah, high school sucked, but the friends I had at the end of my senior year were the best friends I think I'll ever have. Before we knew it we were graduating. We tried to make the summer last, spending everyday with each other, but it flew by quicker than senior year. Before we knew it, we were going our separate ways. We promised to stay in touch.

We all had our worries. I was the last member of my friend group to move into college, and watching their crazy Snapchat stories with new friends made me feel alone and nostalgic. I never thought I'd create friendships as quickly as it seemed they had.

But after getting to school, I did make friends. Still, for the first few weeks I missed the usual sarcasm and humor that only my friends from home seemed to have in common with me. Those first few weeks, we texted everyday in our group message. Weeks passed, and I became even closer with my college friends; I had finally found my niche.

As months passed I found that my phone hardly ever lit up with a text from my hometown friends. The usual pointless conversations twindled away until we only chatted about the most important aspects of our lives. I began to wonder how things would be when we all returned home for Christmas Break.

But after entering my best friends house and seeing the whole group back together again, I felt stupid for even worrying. Sure, we didn't text as much as we did in high school, but it had practically no effect on our friendship. As we sat around a table telling crazy stories from our first semester of college, I couldn't help but think about how grateful I am to have an entire group of lifelong friends.