To The Friends Who Have Left My Life, You Will Always Be A Part Of Me

Thank you for the time we had together, I will always be grateful for it.

145

One of the hardest truths is realizing that not everyone who comes into your life is meant to stay. People cycle in and out like clockwork, especially when you're young. Sometimes they fade in and out naturally, and other times it stings like a bad sunburn. My circle of friends has certainly transformed throughout the entirety of my life, not for better or for worse, just as a result of growing apart and choosing different pathways in life.

To the friends who have left my life, if I had the chance to tell you, I would want you to know,

You cross my mind often. Actually, much more often than you would probably think. Whether it's coming across an old photo, scrolling past a post of yours on social media, or just simply just the passing thought of wondering how you are doing, I can't help but be curious about what you are up to now. I would be lying if I said I didn't sometimes get the urge to send you a message when I see your name in my contacts, I usually just let that impulse pass, but no matter how things ended between us I will always wish you a happy birthday.

I will always cherish our memories. From the unadorned drives around the neighborhood to those deep, midnight conversations when we thought we had the world figured out, they all still make up a part of who I am. Just because we aren't close anymore doesn't devalue the time we spent together, no matter how long it's been since we've talked. I hope I never lose the sense of nostalgia that looking back at the old videos of us singing along to our favorite songs at the top of our lungs brings me. The only thing I can confidently say I regret is not being grateful for the times we shared together before they turned into memories, I didn't realize then how much those moments meant to me.

Sometimes I wonder what it might be like if we were still close,especially for the ones who I didn't just "lose touch" with. To the handful of friends that I didn't end on good terms with, I wish I could say that after all this time it didn't still ache when people ask me about you. The spaces in your life that I used to inhabit are now filled with strangers, but I can't argue that I didn't do the same. I understand that not everyone in life is meant to stay forever, but I find myself thinking about what it might have been like if forever was a bit further away.

Thank you for being a part of my life for the time that you were, and know that a piece of you will always resonate with me. Just because we are no longer a prominent part of each other's lives doesnot make you a bad friend. I will always appreciate the countless memories and lessons that you brought me because in one way or another they have contributed to making me the person I am today. So thank you for the time we were able to spend together, and always, I wish you nothing but the best.