Friends of Friends

Friends of Friends

It's a small world after all.

5427
Friends of Friends

I did not grow up in Baton Rouge or New Orleans. I did not join the same sorority as all of my high school friends. And I am not the most outgoing person I've ever met.

A few Sundays ago, I was sitting in church before it started with my brother. As more and more people entered the room, I noticed that I knew a good chunk of the people there. Soon enough, the row that I was sitting in was full. I came to the realization that everyone on the row somehow knew each other. It was one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" kind of things, and I absolutely loved it.

There's always that one person who is more than eager to mix friend groups. I have never been that person, although I do greatly admire their efforts to blend different types of people into one cohesive unit. If you think about it, pretty much every friend you meet in college, you meet through someone else.

The awkward introduction of "Friend A, this is Friend B; Friend B, this is Friend A" often does no justice to the friendships that can follow. I've met some of my favorite college friends because one of my close friends felt comfortable enough to introduce me to them. Being able to point out a familiar face in the quad on a busy afternoon is such a great feeling. This friends of friends network makes college seem a little less scary.

So here's to you, friend-introducers. Keep making moves. Keep making connections and pushing boundaries. You're the ones who keep this small world spinning.