Please Stop Treating Your Friends And Family Like Customers

Your pyramid scheme job is not more important than your relationships.

110
YouTube

Listen. Times are tough--especially if you're a millennial. I absolutely get it.

We are dragged down by student loan debt and left unable to find jobs that pay us enough to get by as cost of living expenses are skyrocketing, and the prospect of getting out of debt, no less affording a mortgage or being able to have enough financial stability to raise a family, is drifting and further and further out of grasp.

On top of that, the millennial generation is blamed for the 'death' of everything. Have you noticed this? Apparently we are cold-blooded killers of napkins, golf, bar soap, restaurant chains, fabric softener, and all kinds of other seemingly common entertainment avenues or household goods, plus democracy in general.

Because that makes total sense. Bog us down with debt, refuse to pay us a living wage, and then get mad when we can't afford anything beyond the necessities. Oh, and be sure to jump all over us when we splurge one time on avocado toast.

For me, in addition to working my primary day job, I also have three freelancing jobs in editing just to make ends meet. I often feel lucky because I am much closer to financial stability than a lot of my peers, but at the same time I have to work myself nearly to death to just feel a modicum of comfort.

So when I say I get it, I mean it. We all have to do whatever we can to provide for ourselves and overcome the struggle.

But with that said, an unfortunate trend I've noticed in recent years is the prevalence of pyramid schemes that slide in under the radar with the guise of: Work for yourself! Be an entrepreneur! Work around your own schedule! Be your own boss!

By and large, it's all complete garbage. One person who came up with the scheme gets rich while all the minions at the bottom of the pyramid usually end up wasting away their own savings in hopes of achieving their American Dream.

I'm not here to tell you how to live your life. If you want to sell Avon or Mary Kay products (which are actually pretty good, IMO), please do! If you've found success and are able to pay your bills and take care of your family through networking and doing sales pitches from home, more power to you!

I will say you need to tread lightly.

I am all about supporting my friends in their professional endeavors.

What I don't appreciate are friends who haven't talked to me in years suddenly reaching out to me only to try to sell me something.

I don't appreciate people who sell sham products for It Works! (it doesn't work, BTW) sharing pictures of stock photos of supposed before and after results of their products and misleading people who are supposed to be their friends and family.

Side note: Here's a fun challenge for you. If any of your friends who are moms share a million pictures of the "amazing" results of their product on stretch marks, ask them to show you how it worked on theirs. I promise you they won't be able to.

I don't appreciate Herbalife representatives whom I've known since I was seven years old pedaling poison to me as if I don't know any better.

I don't appreciate having a friend DM me on Instagram to tell me they think I'd be a perfect model for their skin cream and ask me to "try it out" and see how it works for me, but telling me I have to pay them to be a model...for them? What? How does that make sense?

I don't appreciate being told I'm a bad friend or sister or cousin or whatever because I don't want to attend a stupid candle party when I can get a better candle for half the price without having to leave the comfort of my own home.

Don't get me wrong: As I said before, I'm all about people trying to find success for themselves. I don't even mind being invited to your party where you're showing off the makeup or yoga pants or hair products you're trying to sell. That's fine!

But if I can't make it to your party, or if I can't afford your product, or if I simply don't want to incorporate a new lotion into my skincare regimen, am I a bad friend or sister or cousin? Or are you being the bad friend or sister or cousin for deciding our years of friendship or blood relation mean nothing when I don't hand my wallet over to you?

Just something for you to ponder.