To The Friends I've Made in My First Year

Although we may not always go the same path, I will never forget you

471
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/27/6366043327472458551489544251_IMG_2789.JPG

When put into a new atmosphere, the first goal is always to make friends, and it has never been easier. In your first year, you end up making a lot of friends even if you are not trying to. Maybe you met someone through your Facebook class group, through your roommate, lived near them or had a class or club with them. Regardless, they still put up with your antics for at least a semester and began to know you. It is weird because you did not grow up with these people so you really do not know much about them and you know absolutely nothing about their past, but you find something to bond over.

These friends are an interesting breed you never imagined coming from a school where everyone knew each other. It is as if you literally picked up a new book and began reading compared to re-reading the same chapter multiple times (although, who does not love re-reading?). It does not truly hit people until now in the school year that college is truly a new start. I think back to a year ago, I had the same 4 friends for the majority of my middle and high school years, and I knew everyone by name but did not know many people personally (I also was in a graduating class of 384 people). Here I have a roommate, an RA, a few close friends, and a giant friend group… I never imagined in a million years I would be in a big friend group, even if we don’t always get along. I also have met so many people in the clubs I am a part of, and I will be honest, the people make the club, that is why I enjoy going. Those friends from clubs have quickly transformed into friends that I do not just know from being in that club, I see them on campus and will have conversations with the majority of them.

But here comes the upsetting part of this article. Although freshman year includes all of these people, that does not mean all of my years at SUNY Oswego will include these people. My current friend group for the majority all live in the same building that I do. For our sophomore year, the majority of us are branching out and leaving our cute little 4-floor home. The memories from this hall will always remain in my heart (and my camera roll) but I understand it is a part of life to grow close and apart from people. In the long run, if we continue being close friends or if we never talk to each other again, I will always remember the time we spent together. As for your future, I am the type of person who looks for the best in people, all of you deserve the job and stability you dream of because you deserve it. On your bad days, I hope you will always know that I am a text away, no matter if we haven’t talked in 2 days or 2 years, I will always be there for you when the going gets rough but remember… We all made it this far and I know you can continue to do great things. If we don’t see each other again, please make sure to say hello to me at graduation but be cautious, I will most definitely bring up the time you dropped your tray in the middle of the dining hall your freshman year.