The 8 Friends From High School You WILL See Over Summer Break, For Better Or Worse

Some you missed more than others, but you'll secretly be happy to see them all.

446
Madelyn Neal

With only a couple weeks left on campus, it's time to start thinking about your summer plans for your break back at home. And along with that comes the inevitable reunion with some of your high school friends (or acquaintances) that you probably will have mixed feelings about. You'll see them at parties, and in between the standard small talk about your majors, roommates and college experience, you'll begin to notice that these friends seem to classify themselves in some categories and reveal themselves to be either disingenuous or worth all the time that you spent missing them over the semester.

1. Wrong Place, Wrong Time

This is the person who you were only acquaintances with in high school, but had you met in college away from all the cliques and the drama, you would have almost undoubtedly been friends. You'll enjoy seeing them at parties where you can put your old social groups aside and get to know each other.

2. The One You Actually Missed

This is the most important friend who you FaceTimed, texted and talked to constantly. You were always updating each other on your new friends (who they've never met but definitely have nicknames to help remember who they are) and your adventures all the while planning your summer mischief back home.

3. The One You Hated

This is the person who was always a jerk to you in high school — or at least ignored you. But nostalgia and amnesia have played a big part in their attitude and suddenly you find yourself to be their very best friend, remembering the nonexistent good old days where they made fun of you or pushed past you in the hallway without even glancing in your direction.

4. The One You Got In Trouble With

This is a special kind of friend who was by your side throughout all the mischief and trouble. When you inevitably hang out, you won't be able to help but reminisce about all the shenanigans you did together. I had a friend (who shall remain nameless) that used to tie my shoelaces to the desk in the hopes that I would trip with the desk falling on top of me. Cheers to the friend you were constantly pranking and being pranked by.

5. The Frenemy

It's a given that you greet each other with some kind of insult, roll your eyes when they make a joke (even if it's really funny) and pretend to hate them. But deep down, both of you know that you'll stick together no matter what.

6. The One Your Squad Always Made Fun Of

They're slightly ridiculous, but you always enjoy their company for a good laugh. Whenever they're around, you and your other besties are always trying to stifle your laughs because of everything they say.

7. Ms. Tough Love

You were secretly scared of them, but they knew you had their back no matter what and will continue to have your back once you come home this summer.

8. The Retired Mom

She saw you at your worst and worried about you constantly. Even though you've moved to college, she still checks in on you. And her job will come back into play this summer. She will never tell you, but she's actually relieved to be back in business and have her little duckling right back under her wing.

* * *

Summer is just around the corner, and while I know I'll miss all my college friends, it will definitely be interesting to see all my friends (some more friendly than others) back home and see how we all fit in with each other after having started our new lives.