You Should Thank Your Friends And Family Because They Are A Gift

Do not take them for granted.

127
Shelbi Renaldo, Owner of Shelbi Raines Photography

Over the Christmas break, I have been blessed to eat some home cooking, enjoy free groceries, and expand my appetite past frozen chicken nuggets. If I'm honest, I enjoy coming home because the food is good. However, I recognized there is so much more than free food waiting for me at home. I'm not shallow enough to just enjoy food, but the most important thing about "home" is something we all take for granted: the people there.

First, we need to be grateful for our family. We include me in this scenario because I realize more and more every day how wonderful both sets of parents I have are. All four of my parents have taught me about grace and redemption and how to truly love like Jesus. My parents have always defined what was clear as to right and wrong, but they never gave up on us if we did wrong.

There was a process of discipline, but it was always through love and they never let us think that they did not love us. And I am so grateful that they raised us correctly. However, I know not every situation is love filled, and to that I say, people need to still be grateful for their family. Instead of being grateful for the way you have been raised, if it is a bad situation, be grateful that you know what not to do.

Essentially, learn from others mistakes and be grateful you did not make them.

I also realized how important friends are. I have been doubly blessed in that I not only have wonderful friends in my hometown, but I have developed some great friendships in Oxford as well. My friends are fantastic people. I cannot stress how grateful I am for them and their genuine friendship and their Christ-like love they show.

My friends are beautiful people who not only are joyous to be around, but they make me better as a man. They push me towards godliness, and I could never repay any of them for the impact they have had in my life.

Now, I also know not every friendship is beautiful and encouraging, and if you do not have these kind of friends in your life, get some. But if you have friendships that are toxic, distance yourself from them. Friends are different than family in that you can drop friends, but not every friend needs to be dropped. Some friends just need love, but either way a choice must be made.

Choose to stay or go, don't let your friendship be in a weird state of limbo. Forgive if need be, but distance in a toxic friendship is not terrible.

This is more of an open letter to my family and friends to say how thankful I am of them. However, it is also an encourgement to those who don't have good friends or family, keep searching; good people are out there.