Why I'm Friends With My Exes

Why I'm Friends With My Exes

About our transitions from exes to friends.

176
Why I'm Friends With My Exes
heavy.com

Most of the people that I encounter usually have some kind of issue with their exes. It's a common trend, I suppose. However, this is not the case for me. I am, as weird as it may sound, friends with all of my exes. When I tell people this, they are usually shocked. They wonder how or what's wrong with me. They automatically assume it ended well, which isn't the case for all of them. But there isn't anything wrong with me; I have my reasons for being friends with them. We were able to get past the bad stuff and continue on with a friendship. Why should that be looked down upon? I believe that it shows maturity for us to be able to grow from our past relationship and move on.

My exes and I did not have the best relationships. There were plenty of fights within them, and plenty of times where both parties were at fault. It was unhealthy for us to stay together, and we broke up. However, that does not mean I don't love them. I still care for each of my exes. At one point, they were a huge part of my life. I was in two somewhat long-term relationships in high school, so they were my best friend for a long period of time. Why should a failed relationship be the end of our friendship?

The transition from relationship to friendship was most certainly not instant. There were periods where we just simply would not talk. One of them blocked me on all social media for a long time before we were able to make amends. But once we did begin to talk again, we were able to put our past behind us and move on with our friendships. Sometimes our past comes up in talking, but it's usually a "Wow, we were kind of dumb" moment. Sometimes you just need to realize how stupid both parties in the relationship were in order to be able to move on from it.

My exes are good people. Despite what may have happened between us, I still hold their friendship near and dear to my heart. This does not mean I want to get back together with them or anything, but I still want them in my life. I'm not going to let go of a friendship just because a relationship did not work out. They talk to me about people they're seeing, and I talk to them about my boyfriend. While this may seem extremely weird, the conversation flows naturally. I believe that this is because we don't see each other as exes, but rather friends.

I know this may be a crazy concept and shock most people, but I'm still friends with my exes. We have good friendships that I wouldn't want to lose. Try reconnecting with an ex; you never know what will come out of it.