My Friends, We Can Make A Difference

My Friends, We Can Make A Difference

I'm tired of hearing how there's nothing we can do to make a difference. Here's what I have to say about that.

43
My Friends, We Can Make A Difference

These past few weeks have been filled with so many beautiful moments, combined with some truly terrifying ones. This past weekend, for example, was nothing short of terrifying. I had so many friends who were at the festival when the shooting occurred and unfortunately one walked away with some serious injuries. Seeing how her life is going to move forward with her now acquired physical and mental injuries is heart breaking, especially since that was not her choice. The heaviness of the event really hit me and honestly, I still feel like I am carrying a lot of it.

Monday I had two classes and I was definitely not in any mood to go. In many ways I wish I skipped my first class because I was so disappointed in the reaction from the professor regarding the event. Not only was the tragic event not mentioned, but the focus was directed towards gun laws in contrast to praying for the people affected by the event and ensuring that students knew about the on-campus services for those who are experiencing grief. In my next class, we had the opportunity to talk about it and how we felt about it, which was awesome! However, one student said something that has been brought to my attention numerous times in the past few months and I am tired of hearing it. So here it is.

“The world is just going to continue getting worse and worse and there is nothing that we can do about it.”

Nothing gets me more irritated than hearing that statement right there, and here is why. It is exactly that mentality right there that is going to continue plummeting our nation and world into a place that we cannot escape from. Think about it. If everyone devoted their minds to that sort of mentality, we would be screwed. Life is always going to have its ups and downs. Bad things are always going to happen but you know what? Just because chaos ensues around us daily DOES NOT MEAN that there is not anything we can do.

In situations like these, it is so important that we go beyond ourselves and show love. Corny and cliché, but it’s true. Especially as Christians, it is so important that, in all situations we do our best to show love and compassions to those who truly need it. What breaks my heart is to hear a follower of Jesus just completely give up hope.

GUYS.

We follow the master of Love. The ultimate provider of peace and hope. Ya know, the dude that loves you so stinking much that he literally sent his son to DIE on the cross for YOUR stinking sins. COME ON. How can we not have hope when literally the creator of the universe, the very individual who IS the definition of love, is out Father? As Christians, we have an important role and it is not an easy one.

IT OUR CALLING TO LOVE RELENTLESSLY.

We of all people know what it is like to feel hopeless. To feel lost and angry. To feel upset and overwhelmed. To feel defeated and alone. Why? Because we have chosen a life that calls you to literally go against EVERYTHING the world tells you to do. That can be an extremely lonely place to be at times and requires a lot of faith and a whole lot of patience. With this, we can do something in the time of devastation. Every day. Every hour. Every minute is an opportunity to make a difference.

You do not have to do something that is radically big. Offer prayer. Send that text. Offer your ears to those who need to express their pain. BE THERE AND BE PRESENT.

With that, remember that even in these times of pain, we have an extremely important role to play in this world and that is to daily profess the name and love of Jesus through our everyday words and actions.

I mean, Gandalf the Grey says it perfectly…

I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.”

Keep on loving, my friends.