We Say 'Goodbye' But No Matter Where You Transfer, I'll Always Be Here For You

Even as next year rolls in without us in the same place, it doesn't mean that I won't always be here for you.

213
Jessica Boico

To my friend who is transferring:

College life is not always the easiest. As we’ve both seen there are a lot of ups and also downs that go along with it. Maybe it was the distance from home, the size of the school, the academics, or any other possible reason. Whatever it is, this place just isn’t for you anymore.

After many late night talks and deep conversations you’ve decided to transfer. As hard as it is for me to see you go, I know that this is the best decision for you to be your best self. I want to see you thrive and be as happy as you can, wherever that may be. Never would I want you to stay in a place where you feel unhappy and upset. Find where your new spot needs to be and make the best of it, even if that means taking some time off to travel or just be home, that is okay too.

But do not feel alone in this, because you are not alone in this. It seems that nowadays transferring colleges has become almost as common as going to college is. There has become this really positive idea that if you are not happy somewhere, go where you will be. I am a huge believer in this idea and I know that wherever you end up in these next few years it will only be good. No one will be there to beat you down for choosing to go where you will do best. However, if they do then they are not your real friends. Some people may take it not the best and feel hurt or upset.

This is a time to be selfish and make your decision because you want to. As selfish as I want to be and keep you here, it is for the best for you to go on. Take the experiences that you've had here and with all the people that you met, to make your next college experience that much stronger and better. You now know what you do and don't like, so use this to your advantage. It is time to move on to the next stage of this time in your life.

Even though as the next year rolls in without us in the same place, it doesn't mean that I won't always be here for you. Lean on me when you need someone to help get you through those beginning stage adjustments. Call me when something funny happens or you have a story to share. Just because I won't be with you everyday doesn't mean that I won't be here for you the same way. If anything it will make hearing from you and all about your new school that much more special.

Take this time to find yourself and get yourself back on track. No matter where you may transfer, I'll always be here. My back is never turned, my door never shut, and my support never ending.